Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Viz sights for steel challenge ?

Z-Hawk

What kind of sights do the majority of top competitors in Steel Challenge competition use in the .22 rim fire "iron" sight division? I like regular steel-iron sights but wonder if the best competitive shooters have gone over to the Hi-Viz/light pipe variety?

Do the non-electronic sight center-fire Steel Challenge shooters use steel/iron sights, or Hi-Viz?

I have to make these choices and will go with what's proving fastest and best.

There was an article about last years WSSC and I remember quite a bit from it but I don't remember if there was a section on the kind of "iron" sights. I'll try to find it and write again, unless somebody else knows it. I watched the show on the WSSC and the National SC but really don't remember that either. I use all optics and I guess I was just paying attention to those mostly. I'm sure that most are using FO (fiber optic) sights now, it seems to have taken over in most shooting sports. I know that for the optic sights, the C-More was in the upper 80% range and Jessie won the ladies division with a C-more mounted on a S&W M41 with a Bully barrel.

I run a SC match here in South Carolina and at my matches, most have gone the optic route but the ones who shoot iron sights use mostly FO versions. I would say about 75% of them are FO while the rest are true iron sights.

I will try to get more info and post it here...Take care...

I've only competed about a half a dozen times in the last 20 years, and have only noticed how many are using C-More optics. But, I want to stay close to self-defense capability and have never looked over a barrel with the brighter fiber-optic sights installed. Not sure I'll like them, but for competition I think I need to consider them. I figure if the top competitors are using fiber optic light pipes, they must be faster and better.

If you see the article you referred to, it might be a help. Details of any possible downsides to fiber optics would be useful, too. It seems to me that they might be less precise, in the bullseye part of the game. Is that true (if anyone knows)?