Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USSA Competition Handgun 110 Course -- ?

I live in Central Texas, roughly about 7 1/2 hour drive from the USSA facility.

I'm thinking about enrolling in the USSA Competition Handgun 110 course being held in August. I'm a USPSA Prod 'C' class and a IDPA SSP/ESP SS and want to improve my competition skills.

In April, I had surgery to repair my Achilles and smooth out my heel bone.

Two questions:

1. Is this course worth the drive and the $$$$? Between hotel, meals, gas, bullets, and the course cost I'm planning on spending about $1,000.00 give or take a couple hundred DOE.

2. Is this a physically challenging course? I'm expecting my foot to be about 80-85% in August, if all goes well.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks

It is a very basic course. They follow a structured lesson plan and work on the basics of competition shooting. It is not a self defense course or an advanced competition class. I feel the advantage of this course, is you are able to ask questions of a Grand Master on different aspects of competition shooting with out feeling like your free loading or stealing from him. I know a lot of the Grand Masters of our sport willingly share their knowledge but I feel better when I am paying him for his knowledge or instruction. Just by taking the course will not raise your classification but I believe it will help you become a better shooter. I traveled 500 miles to take the class and I thought it was worth the cost for me.

I know of some, who had higher expectations of the course and were disappointed but I believe they were looking more for a private coach or tutoring. When you take a class with several students, the instructors have to teach to the lower majority skill level.

The course isn't too physically challenging. If you can shoot a USPSA club match, you will be fine.

It is more cost effective if you can bring them to you. The travel cost's really add up