Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers: The Good, Bad and So So

EMTCurly

The gold standard for me are Winchesters.

Everyone seems to agree that Federal Primers are softer than any other brand out there yet, just like you mentioned, Winchesters are the preferred brand of primers for most shooters; why is this?

Federal's are so soft, they are the preferred brand for revos with lightened trigger pulls.

I run 1911's and have used Fed, Wolf and Win. I prefer Win, had no issues with Wolf, except they are upside down in the tray. I set off a tube of Federals in my 650 once so I save them exclusively for my revo load.

I have about 25K of Win LP now, so I'm good for awhile. I always look for Win first.

• 1 month later...

My Order of preference for Semi autos has been Winchester, Remington, CCI, and then Federal.. mostly because at the time, Federal primers were too expensive and were more sensitive that I thought I needed.

In my Revolver loads it changes to Federal, Winchester, Remington, and then CCI. I want absolute reliability and Federals have traditionally been IT for me. I get 100% ignition with Federal Primers.

Personally, any domestic primer has been better than any non-domestic (Wolf, Magtech, Fiocchi, etc). Thankfully I had enough of a supply over the shortage that I was unaffected. Someone sold me 11k Win SP primers before it all happened because he used nothing but Federals.. I got them at the now unheard of $18/k. I think I picked up the last Remington SP primers at $70/k a couple years ago. At the time, Federals were going for about $22.50/k. It's going to hurt when I have to re-supply again. :(