Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr XTP +P Load

BlayGlock

Does anyone load any 230gr Hornady XTP to +P pressures using Unique? I want to load up some for my 1911 to keep around for critters. Looking ay my manual it says to only use 6.0 grains for a 230 gr JHP and it would give 806 fps from a 4.4 in barrel with COL of 1.2. I want about 900 fps out of a 5". It does say that you can load a 230gr TMJ with 6.5 grs, COL 1.26 and get 832 fps from a 4.4 in. barrel. You think I could safely load up to 6.7-6.8 grs? With a 5" barrel I'll get what, maybe an extra 50 fps from what is listed?

I agree that it wont really make a difference, I was just curious if anyone knew what the extra 0.5 inch of barrel would contribute. I do not have a chrono.

Also I know you used to have a ammunition business, you think I could push it that hard and still be safe?

Depends on component variables. I'm not too experienced with Unique, using it only for one load in one cartridge I rarely shoot (3.5gr in a 220gr LSWCGC .38 Spl) so I'm not sure of the pressure curve. I have never tried Unique in the .45 ACP so I can't opine as to it's capability in that cartridge.

One thing I have noticed is sometimes theory will dictate a velocity increase but actual testing results in lower velocity with higher charge weight (ie, my 'broken record' example of Longshot and 10mm 180gr. 9.2gr is fastest but the 9.5gr max is slower than the previous charge despite more powder. You'd think more powder more energy higher velocity but both velocity and pressure drop as you increase the charge beyond 9.2gr all things else being constant).

• 4 weeks later...

I have loaded 230 grain LRN bullets over 6.5 grains of Unique with no pressure signs, but only 50.

However, I do shoot Black Hills 230 grain +P which appear to be loaded with Hornady XTP bullets. They are supposed to achieve 950 FPS, and while I have not confirmed that, they produce recoil that makes me believe it. The BHA load has been my choice for carrying while camping in Bear country, and I can see why you want to load your own. Out of a slightly longer barrel I bet it could be legal hunting ammo (500 foot pounds).