Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 SAAMI load suggestions?

millisec

I have an Olympic ML1 16" with a 1:10 twist ultra match barrel I'm trying to start loading for. The barrel is chambered with Clymer .223 Remington reamers cut to minimum SAAMI specs. I have had the gun several years and used it at an IDPA club in NC where we used to shoot carbine side matches and for other target shooting. Nothing but American Eagle 55g 223 has ever been run in it. I want to shoot it more and use it in 3 gun. That said I need to start reloading. I've pretty much read all the best approaches to loading 223 (new or preprocessed brass, die setup, primers etc).

1) Anything specific to look out for reloading for that particular type of chambering?

2) Based on the twist I would probably not be loading anything heavier than 55-62g. Anybody run any heavier with that twist?

What makes me a little hesitant using any quoted load data is that its usually for 5.56 with a higher chamber pressure. I've read plenty of conflicting info on 223 vs. 5.56 in a 223 chambered gun. A lot of people say Lake City etc. would be OK but I have always been a little hesitant being its not just 223 but 223 SAAMI. I've also considered opening up the chamber but thats probably not going to happen.

First thing, don't limit yourself to 55-62gr. I had an old target rifle in 223 with a 1:10 twist and it shot Sierra 69gr fine.

For you chamber look at good quality dies, I like Redding and Dillon. The chamber will work well with most anything I expect.

Varget, Benchmark, 748, RL15 all will work to some degree or another. I like Benchmark and Varget expecially Benchmark and the 69gr (23.5gr) Loaded to fit just inside the magazine that you have the most of.

If the 69gr let you down, go with 55gr FMJ Hornady or Sierra #1390 55gr HPBT, these are not match but good quality game projectiles.