Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP sizing - Beginner

Todd B.

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to reloading and just set-up my L-N-L AP and I'm having a problem with my sizing die.

I'm using the Redding Pro Series die set and the sizing die is not sizing the case all the way down. It is leaving a bulge in the last .050" of the case. The case will chamber, but is this normal?

Case diameter at bulge = .475"

Case diameter above bulge = .468"

Thanks,

-todd

I never really thought about it honestly but I just miked some loaded rounds and some of mine are like that. I really don't think it's a problem. You gotta figure the shell holder is in the extractor groove right? So about .050 above that is not getting sized. That's really not much to worry about. I guess you could run the die down till it touches the shell holder if you haven't already, but that's all the case that's ever gonna get in there. There has to be some kind of lead in chamfer on your die so there's probably your .050.

I've never used Redding for pistol ammo, but my Dillon die has quite a bit of lead in chamfer so I don't really expect that it goes all the way down to the groove. Sure helps the case find its way in during loading though.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't worry about it if it chambers easily, but that's just my .02. Be safe and if you're really concerned give Redding a call. I have dealt with them with Rifle dies and they've always been really friendly and helpful.

Good luck

Kevin