Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR for 3 gun...which division?

SingleTrackMind

Sorry for a newb question and maybe wrong forum...

I have an AR assembled from a stripped lower and a complete LaRue 16" Stealth upper...am I supposed to shoot Open only, as it is not a complete production rifle? I see a lot of guys on here talking about this that and the other for built up rifles...are they all shooting Open, or is there a little more leeway in the rules than my interpretation?

You don't need a production gun to shoot divisions other than Open. Open class is typically made up of shooters with 2 optics, bipods, huge compensators, beta mags. Most guns with one optic fall into tactical/tactical optic division.

Here is a link to the USPSA rifle rules which has a section on competitor equipement.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009RifleRules2-5.pdf

Outlaw matches use some form of International Multi Gun Association Rules. The equipement is usually very similar to USPSA but there can be slight differences depending on the match. Here are some examples.

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-rules/img-rules/

Edited by jtischauser

jtishauser,

I did read those rules before posting, which I guess is the source of my confusion...

5.1.1 - Rifles are separated and defined by Divisions (see Appendix D)

D1- Open (17.) Factory produced guns only - No

D2-Tactical (17.) Factory produced guns only - Yes

D3-Limited (17.) Factory produced guns only - yes

The modular design of the AR leaves a great deal open to interpretation I guess. My AR is the opposite of a purpose built competition rig - more of an all-around/tactical sort of setup - but capable of competing and I'd like to use it. I guess we'll see what the local club says in that regard. Thanks for your input!

I already have an aimpoint that I'd like to use, but will consider other options if that proves to be holding me back. I suspect I'll have years of practice before that really becomes an issue though...

jtishauser,

I did read those rules before posting, which I guess is the source of my confusion...

5.1.1 - Rifles are separated and defined by Divisions (see Appendix D)

D1- Open (17.) Factory produced guns only - No

D2-Tactical (17.) Factory produced guns only - Yes

D3-Limited (17.) Factory produced guns only - yes

The modular design of the AR leaves a great deal open to interpretation I guess. My AR is the opposite of a purpose built competition rig - more of an all-around/tactical sort of setup - but capable of competing and I'd like to use it. I guess we'll see what the local club says in that regard. Thanks for your input!

I already have an aimpoint that I'd like to use, but will consider other options if that proves to be holding me back. I suspect I'll have years of practice before that really becomes an issue though...

I don't know what the exact meaning of that "factory produced guns only" rule but I would venture to guess that the interpretation is that you can't mill your own lower but you can put together a gun from factory produced components. I have a DPMS lower, JP, Trigger, Firebird upper, lother walther barrel, etc.

If you already have an aimpoint you are good to go. You will eventually want to add a magnifyer to the red dot or simply go to a variable power scope as the red dot sights typically have dots that are too large to shoot small targets at long distances. i.e the dot covers up the target becaseu it is too large. I know I can't hit 10" plates at 200 yards with my bushell red dot as fast as with my accupoint because I can't see the target with the red dot covering it up.

Welcome to 3 gun my freind you won't be dissapointed. We have bi-monthly matches down here in OKC. COme on down and join us. Next match is on March 21st. http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/

Edited by jtischauser