Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Stages

Gun Geek

This thread grew out of my other one about match fees.

Anybody have any good resources for indoor COFs? I have Matt's video (#5) and of course access to the IDPA site.

Also, any comments or suggestions about good things to do inside would be appreciated. I've done lots of outdoor IDPA, but no indoor.

Our facility has 2 separate medium width bays - 8 or 10 firing stations wide, and is 25 yards long.

Thanks again for the input!!!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say hi and let Gun Geek know that I'm no longer lurking. Also hi to everyone from the IDPAforum, I recognized a few names from over there. We are getting our new club rolling, but we can use all the advice we can get! Adam

Check out http://www.tacticalshooters.com/COF/index_page.htm

This site has over 900 courses of fire all drawn up in Visio and converted to web format. There is even an Excel spreadsheet to help sort through the stages. The club started out at an indoor range so many of the stages are indoor friendly.

Gary Burris is the webmaster. Gary is a long time IDPA member, IDPA club officer, IDPA SO (state, regional, and national's match experience), IDPA SO instructor, and shoots in all 4 divisions. His website is a great resource!

• 3 weeks later...

One thing we did was build 2x4 framed tarp walls. They are approximately 3' x 7.5'. With holes evenly spaced, they can be easily bolted or drywall screwed together. Put windows in a couple. Then you can lay them on their side or stan them up depending on what you want to do. We also put together a wooden slider and wooden swingers. The get beat up a bit, but it is safer than steel indoors.

Good luck.

Phil Strader has been hosting indoor matches for several months here: www.shootersparadise.com You can see each month's stages before the match on our website. This month is a USPSA approved, all-classifier match.

I help out with stage design/set-up/RO duties. We will soon add IDPA matches though I will not be involved in running those.

A few thoughts: Use non-steel "plates" indoors. The rubber "plates" sold though Dillon (called something like "NuBold") solve any fragmentation/light breakage problems and can be shot point-blank without danger. We do not use those for classifiers however. When we do use real steel (poppers, activators, plates) a simple, thin plywood "roof" over the steel prevents any light breakage by catching all framents. We have not lost a light yet.

To allow greater use of the 180, Phil has lined the walls with steel plate that is close to T1 hardness. We limit the angle of hits to 45 degrees or less. So far, there has been NO perceptable damage for thousands of hits by all types of bullets loaded to Major.

Space and shoot through problems are a major impediments to our stage design. To allow greater flexibility in stage design, I devised and built temporary backstops using 12" deep portable boxes filled with backstop material (shredded non-steel belted radial tires).

I would like to hear from other indoor match directors now that outdoor shooting has stopped for the winter. I am always looking for new ideas/stage designs. Thanks, TY44934

I shoot an indoor IPSC match once per month. We make no special concession whatsoever for shooting steel. I have a small scar to prove it :P We do abide by the 10 yard rule, though.

One neat thing an indoor club did when I shot IDPA was put a target on one of the overhead trolleys. On the start signal, someone started the target moving uprange, and you had to retreat while drawing and fire two shots at the target. Passing a rear fault line, or letting the target get to contact distance were procedurals. Pretty good realistic scenario stage, I thought.

DD