Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unbagging

Rufus The Bum

Gentlemen, many years ago, long enough for the statute of limitations to have run out, someone grabbed a pistol from his safe to do some dry firing and....

Sometime after that someone grabbed a pistol from his safe and, having learnt their lesson, checked clear. Inexplicably loaded. Unloaded but didn't check clear again....

I check clear when I take a gun from the safe and put it in the range bag. I check clear when I take it out of the range bag in the safety area. If doing solitary practise, when finished I call a fellow shooter over and have them give me the IYAFUASC. If they are newbies I coach them through it, but wait for them to verify it as well.

When I go into the safety area I check clear again. When putting them into the safe I check clear again.

There is a god that keeps stupid young men alive, but I'm no longer young so I can't count on his protection and that protection never guaranteed the safety of those around me.

If you unbag on the line I'll ask you to show clear first, I'll be polite, but I'll be insistent. It dosn't hurt to take 2 seconds to show me an empty chamber, and it could keep me or someone else alive. I'm beginning to understand the view point of Kent Docker, one of the Aussie crowd. "I've been doing this for 20 years without any holes in me, and I intend to keep it that way."

Ken