Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 4756

sincityshooter

I've tried both and I really can't tell any difference.  Some people say 7625 is "snappier" what every than means but it seem the same to me.  The only difference in 4756 and 3N37 is the sound.  3N37 is not as sharp sounding.  I have stayed with 4756 for its availability in my area.  On the burn rates chart 7625 is allot faster burning, where 3N37 is only marginally slower.  Hope this info helps.

Between the two IMR powders, 4756 consumes a little more case volume (not an issue with the new PF), shoots a little flatter, and has slightly more felt recoil. 3n37 has a slightly sharper pulse than either IMR, is a little dirtier, and has a wider velocity spread.

Back at the Steel Challenge, I got some really great load data from Todd Jarrett. Since IMR 7625 is in real short supply and it looks to be so intil the fall of 2003, 4756 looked to be the next best thing. The only part of Todd's data I didn't use was the bullet. Instead of the 121 grain HAP I'm using the 124 grain Montana Gold JHP. I run 8.6 grains of 4756 in SuperComp brass and a Winchester Small Rifle Primer. I chrono at a very consistant 170.5 PF with a very smooth, quick and yes snappy recoil. Before I started with this load I was running Vit N350 and had played with 3N37. I liked the feel of the N350 but I was disapointed with how dirty it burned. I had always been told Vit burned real clean. As for the 3N37 I didn't like it at all. It felt sluggish and all kinds of crap flew out of my comp. I think even when 7625 becomes available again I'll be sticking with 4756