Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holster Questions (Everglade)

Doublehelix

I just got my first race holster from Everglades Ammunition ( http://www.evergladesammo.com/everglades-magnetic-race-holster.html ), and it seems very well-constructed and of very high quality.

However, since this is my first race holster, I am learning the nuances of setting it up to my liking. I am still much faster with my Bladetech kydex holster and Stoeger's Boss DOH holder, but that should change with time (I certainly hope!).

The offset seems too far out for my liking, or maybe it is just what I am used to. I have tried to figure out how to bring the mount in closer to my hip, but I have not been able to figure it out yet. There is a hex screw on the top that looks like it should be that adjustment point, but when removed, I can't get the mount to move. I will probably give them a call later today and get some advice, but thought I would ask here as well.

I am having trouble getting the holster adjusted to my liking. The problem is that "my liking" is probably more a fact of "what I am used to" with my old Boss setup.  Which may not be the optimal way to setup a race holster. I am trying to get it setup so that my hand drops to a natural draw position either from a surrender start position or a hands at side start position, but no matter how I tweak it, it just doesn't feel natural.

I wonder if I am naturally trying to get it to match the feel of the Boss kydex setup that I am so used to and feel so natural??? Maybe that is not what I should be aiming for.

One of the biggest differences seems to the the offset, which I mentioned initially. The gun seems much farther away from my body than the offset of the Stoeger Boss setup. I wonder if I should be working to getting used to the new feel, or continue to try and match what muscle memory tells me is right?

Any specific tips on how to go about setting up a race holster, or how to possibly adjust the offset on the Everglades holster would be greatly appreciated.

I've had my everglades mrh for about another now and wasn't able to get that adjusted either but really didn't need to I found with the right adjustment.

What I did was bring it forward of my hip and angled outward bringing it to within the 2" needed for limited as well as making it comfortable for me.

It has been an adjustment going to the race holster but after a month I'm doing A zone hits at 10 yards in about 0.99-1.06 secs or about there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I sent a message to Everglades asking this same question on how to adjust the offset to get it within in the 2" required by USPSA Limited rules, and I got a response within 5 minutes (or even less!!!). Awesome!

Here is the response after told him that I loosened the hex screw in the front of the holder:

"You are doing that adjustment exactly the right way.  It is just a tight fit for a reason.  The screw only holds it in place and the friction of the holster body to the aluminum mount keeps it from rotating side to side.  If it wasn’t a tight fit the holster would wobble and that would be no good.  

You can spray a little lube on there, but the easiest way to adjust it is with a soft face hammer.  Just take the holster off the belt, remove the screw and position the back of that arm against a sturdy bench.  Give the holster a tap to move it on that arm.  Make sure you are using a non-marring hammer or something to protect the holster face from damage.  If you have any questions let me know.  Thanks."

I did as instructed with a rubber hammer, and I had it adjusted correctly within a minute or so. Works GREAT now!