Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Brass - Crimped vs. Non-crimped

Ringo77

Can someone please shed some light on how to determine whether .223 brass is crimped or non-crimped.

I am aware that a circle with an inset plus sign indicates that a cartridge is a NATO shell, therefore military and crimped. I am also aware that a date indicates that a shell is also military and crimped, but this sometimes confuses me. For example, is a piece of brass with LC (Lake City?) 77 made in 1977, and therefore crimped?

My primary question is whether there are any other indicators on the head besides head stamp information that signifies that a cartridge is either crimped or non-crimped? Is there something to look for around the primer pocket?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Can someone please shed some light on how to determine whether .223 brass is crimped or non-crimped.

You are correct that there is a "ring" around the primer pocket. When the primer is removed from the pocket this crimp will leave a sharp edge on the mouth of the primer pocket that will also make the pocket slightly undersized. It will cause difficulties when trying to seat a new primer.

If you have a lot of crimped .223 brass, like I do, buy a Dillon Super Swage 600. This tool will take care of this military crimp in a blink of an eye. Easy to use and fast. Makes it easy to use the brass that lots of others throw away.