Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP/Winchester Practical

Brian Payne

Hey guys,

seems like I was magnatized to this thread.

I also have a new FN SLP Mk1, and am shooting Rrio Shotshells. (2 3/4, 7.5, 3-dram).

I will attach a video of last weeks practice - which includes some of the jams I have been having.

So far I get FTF, puffs of heavy smoke (weak loads?), and fireballs. (Split hulls)?

Some folks recommended that I go with factory Federal shotshells...which I will be trying the first chance I get.

But I am also considering getting SRM to seal my gas piston. What will something like this cost?

And also, if I seal my piston, will I also need the recoil system they offer?

And very lastly, what was ultimately the cause of the bolt carrier not going fully into battery? You will see this happening to me in my video.

SHOTGUN PRACTICE SESSION

In ChrIst: Raymond

I'm very green around here. I was shooting my SLP the other week for the first time and had a few fire burst out of my gun also. I shot 25 rds of Federal 2 3/4, 7.5, 3 dram with no flames. I then tried some older Remington stuff my cousin had. I shot 4 rds of that with some big fire balls :surprise:

OK,

I finally took apart my FN SLP, and with a 200/400 and 600 grit Dremel rotary wheel, I rounded and polished all the MIM parts of the bolt and bolt housing. Every friction point has been polished to a glass-like finish, and the action is now smooooooooooooooooooth!

Before I would pull back the bolt carrier with the bolt handle, and then let it slide forward ever so slightly. It would always stay open that last 1/4" before locking up.

But now?

Fogitabowdit!

Not only will it not stay open that last fraction of an inch. But even with the Rrio shell in there, it still closes.

I will take it out this Friday to test fire the last remaining 150 Rrio shotshells. I also picked-up 200 of the Federal Value Pack shotshells, which is what I will be shooting from now on. (I'll be trying those as well).

If all goes well, I will rethink the entire recail system install. Maybe I'll only go with the sealed gas piston for extra reliability purposes.

Great thread. Good info was put out there for us!

In Christ: Raymond