Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Ammo more accurate

skip62

That's some pretty awesome stuff Cautery!

Now, the big question I have is how much better this ammo performed than ammo loaded with sort of the typical process most folks use. In other words, how much gain did it net? In pistols I just don't know that it's worth it and it's almost definitely not worth it for USPSA shooting.

Well, in my original bullet jump article, I observed a 30+% reduction in group sizes, but that testing only included a portion of the above controls... and I started with a Glock 22.

I suspect that if I repeated the testing with all of the above variables controlled, single stage press loading, et al. stuff, I could get much, much better results. Read the article and you'll see that there was lots of room for further increasing accuracy. I basically used the minimum controls necessary to test bullet jump potential increases. The controls were to put the stock, KKM, and custom chambered KKM on equal footing...

I have since learned lots more tricks for how to better fit the barrel to the slide, fit the slide to the frame, trigger jobs, etc. to include how to make better custom inserts for the Ransom rest.... and mounting the Ransom rest. It is much more stable on the concrete bench rest stations at The Shootout vs. the sheet metal tables on the range in CA that I did my initial testing on...

I'm confident that I could get single ragged hole groups from a Glock if I wanted to...

I don't think the extreme level is necessary for USPSA.... I wouldn't do single stage press reloading. I wouldn't buy special brass, etc. I would however use my 550 tweaks, modified Redding seating die, and I'd use brass sorted for same head stamp and sort for length with no more than 0.002" length difference.