Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ultrasonic cleaning

pdice

bought that unit from midway and it works great. i have found the unit to be most useful on the cylinder of revolvers and the extractor of my autos. it will get places with powder residue and carbon cleaner than you have ever seen. i do wish it did a better job on barrels. pretty sure ultrasonics have a tough time with heavy materials like lead or copper inside the barrel. as far as night sights go i've put a few guns with trij sights for longer than ten or fifteen minutes and have had no problems yet. i have only used the solutions from midway (both the cleaner and the oil) and if i did it over again i don't know that i would spend the money on the oil. the oil smells pretty similar to kerosene. i just lube em with brake free and blow off excess with a compressor.

You really should use the oil in the ultrasonic. You have to get the water out and oil into all the little nooks and crannies to protect them from rusting. I had a 1911 with a Virgil Trip chrome job that started to rust in the corners in a matter of minutes after ultrasonic cleaning. I would not count on breakfree (spray) to get rid of all the water. It can't penitrate as well as the ultrasonic.

Someone in this thread recommeded cleaning in WD40. That sounds like a possible option. I tried using ed's red. It worked great, but also took the paint off the plastic frame of my ultrasonic. :(

Edited by Jeff686