Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets back logged 10 weeks

Renron

Hey, I just got off the phone with Dave from Precision bullets and yep, you all are right, he is a very nice guy to do business with.

Apologized several times for the long wait and was happy to take my order for a future production run of 185s. (ordered a case) thinkin' I shoulda ordered more...... This current production run of 185s (Thursday) is completely sold out......long ago. <_<

However, he told me that the next run should ship in about 10 weeks as of today for 185gr 40 cal. My new reloader is due to to arrive this week and it wants to be fed! Any suggestions on an alternative (reasonable prices please) bullets would be appreciated.

I am shooting a brand new Barsto 40 cal. that needs to be broken in properly. (shot alot) Same gun as Chad Allred, thanks Chad!

Do you recommend CMJs or plain lead for a break in? I'm thinkin' 500rnds or so. Will be using VV320 powder starting off weak loaded.

Ron

Lead is cheap but... the BS-40s I handled were crazy tight and the residue might cause some functioning problems. If it were me I would run jacketed bullet just to make sure that any break-in related functioning problems were not caused by dirty loads. Anyway, here are some sources for bullets

Lead bullets: Mike at www.mastercastbullets.com in Illinois... great quality and a super nice guy

Moly-coated: if Precisions are unavailable, try Bear Creek Supply (website is down, just do a search on this forum for the phone number)

cheap jacketed: www.precisiondelta.com ... be advised that their bullets can be a little inconsistent

great jacketed bullets: www.montanagoldbullet.com ... these are not cheap but they are very well made and consistent

10-4 Big Kahuna, I figured the BS40 would be tight all the way around. Their barrels seem to be on the tight side of tolerances as well.

I'll stick with jacketed for now, and shoot Precisions when they come in. Thanks for the input(s)

Ron

I bought 1,000 Montana Gold 180 jhp to load while I wait for the PBs from Dave. Any load suggestions for a 5" BS with VV320?

OK, I ran a search and found lots of data on this combo. 1.175 - 1.20 seems to be the average length for a 2011 style with 4.7 - 5.2 grains of VV320

Edited because I know how to use the search function.......extensivly.....

Ron