Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kudos to Henning and IDPA guys impressed with Tanfoglio

loop

First, I want to give Kudos to Henning. I called last week about the checkered grips I ordered. They won't be ready for several weeks, but Henning said he'd send me a pair and the skateboard tape to use until my new grips are ready. Two days later (we live rurally and it usually takes three days for local mail) I got the grips from Henning. Thanks Henning. Great service!

We shoot IDPA the first and third Tuesday evenings of each month (we have good lights and a very warm climate). The third Tuesday is revolver only. I went early because I wanted to see how the grips felt when shooting, but the bay was occupied and I couldn't test fire my Tanfoglio. I mentioned to a couple guys, including the range master, I wanted to shoot my Tanfoglio because I had new grips. Later I showed them the grips and the gun became the talk of the match.

So, for the final stage the range master decided we could shoot another gun if we wanted. I switched to my Tanfoglio, "the gun with the sand paper grips" as it was now being referred to...

They pulled a surprise. The last stage was three targets, two shots each at seven yards, but with the lights turned off three seconds before the beep - zero night vision. I just double tapped where I thought the targets might be and shot four zeros and two ones in 4.22 seconds.

After the match the range master offered to stay and let anyone who wanted to stay and shoot "the gun with the sand paper grips" keep shooting. I shot first, because it's my gun, and emptied a 10 round mag at seven yards as fast as I could and put six in COM with the other four all in the ones.

But, when the other guys shot it they were all very impressed. I loaded a full mag for one guy and he made a cloverleaf in the middle of the target and said "I'm just going for head shots now." The next six were square in the middle of the head.

My Tanfoglio is the bottom-of-the-line in .45 ACP, but it has a few minor mods. That gun really opened some eyes tonight for a bunch of guys who have lots of guns and shoot a lot.

We may have made some converts.

BTW, the aluminum grips with skateboard tape earned my respect as well as a few other people's. I would just be happier with checkering because I don't trust the glue on tape when the temperature hits 120...

I'm still sky-high on my Tanfoglio. I've shot it in three matches and have three wins - and the gun just keeps getting better.