Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest Kicking 9mm Ammo

The Outsider

I'm looking for people's opinion on light kicking 9mm ammo. I recently started USPSA with my G34 in Production class (using THE tungsten extended guiderod with 13lb ISMI spring), using WWB 115gr. I get a lot of muzzle flip with this combo; even other shooters comment that my gun feels more like a .40 cal than a 9mm. I really want to solve this problem, and I don't want to start reloading. I was thinking of:

Atlanta Arms & Ammo - 147gr JHP

Winchester - 147gr FMJ-Flat Nose (990fps, 320ft/lbs)

Federal - 147gr TMJ (1000fps)

Any experiences or tips on good ammo would help

I suggest you consider a lighter bullet. In USPSA, 9mm is scored minor in all divisions except open, and is only scored major there when loaded to velocities beyond what most people would accept in anthing not specifically designed for 9mm major. The fact that you're concerned with muzzle flip suggests you're not an open, compensated race gun shooter.

Since you can't make major anyway, why use a heavy bullet. My 9mm is an XD 9 Tactical. The cheapest 9mm bullets I can buy locally are Remington UMC 115 grain 250 round bulk packs that occasionally go on sale at Bass Pro Shop/Outdoor World. Not only are they the least expensive, they are lower velocity, but still make minor in my gun, and have a softer recoil than the other inexpensive ammunition available in my area, Winchester white box. It only takes 1,087 fps for a 115 grain bullet to make minor. Why shoot much more or faster than necessary?

Lee

I was shooting the 147's and have recently switched to 124's. I won't say the perceived recoil of the 124 is less than the 147, but it definitely is DIFFERENT.

The recoil I felt from the 147's seemed to "torque" more, hard to explain. But the 124's just feel lots better

I too use Atlanta Ammo. It comes out to about 135 PF at sea level for 147gr coming out of a G34. As far as shipping goes I was told about 30.00 per 1000 to the SF Bay Area. No free shipping.

Jan

i'm not sure what PF the atlanta arms stuff is but if the velocity is too low, you'll have some ejection problems with your glock. chnage the spring out to a 13 or 15 pounder and you should be good to go.

if the wife won't let you out to play, you should buy a reloader so you'll have something gun related to do while you're at home :P .

we'll see you there this saturday.

should not be a problem in the 34. i had mine set up the same way with the 13# spring and all and it worked like a champ. Keep slingin it down range. :D

i'm not sure what PF the atlanta arms stuff is but if the velocity is too low, you'll have some ejection problems with your glock. chnage the spring out to a 13 or 15 pounder and you should be good to go.

if the wife won't let you out to play, you should buy a reloader so you'll have something gun related to do while you're at home :P .

we'll see you there this saturday.

should not be a problem in the 34. i had mine set up the same way with the 13# spring and all and it worked like a champ. Keep slingin it down range. :D

I've been using a 13lb ISMI spring + Tungsten guiderod with good results. I really like recoil with the Atlanta arms. My only concerns were with the way the bullet is seated in the casing (as I mentioned on Sat.)

I think I figured out my lock-up problems from 5/12. My 4 primary mag springs were way worn out. I replaced 3 of them, but it looks like the body of one of the mags is damaged, so that the follower pops way up beyond where it should, so it doesn't always engage the slide lock. I ordered some more mags, just to be safe... :D