Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springs For A Shorty

randy01

The best answer can be found with the gun builder/'smith.

Otherwise you could resort to removing the existing spring and counting the number of coils in your present spring. Then you can cut down a similar weight full size spring to the same number of coils.

It is important to use a similar gauge/thickness of wire as that in your present recoil spring. Many "Shortys" use a reduced space recoil spring plug, which will only allow a specific maximum lenght for a compressed coiled spring. Should you use a longer overall "compressed" coiled spring you could damage the recoil spring, your gun, or both.

After you figure out the correct spring, you would do well to fabricate some "spares" and keep in your parts area/bag.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

I use Wolff variable Commander length springs in my gun, which is similarly configured. I shoot 9mm though and have been using 10 pound for major (170PF) and 8 pound for minor (140PF). 9 and 7 pound respectively seem to also work well with a little snappier feel, but I don't want to beat the gun up too bad and opted for heavier. I try to go a little lighter than the heaviest spring that the gun will run with reliably, with my ammo.

Ok my smith just told me that he uses 9pound wolf springs for 5" gun and shortens them. How does the shortening affect the rating for the spring. Is it still a 9pound spring or is it lighter now.