Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Habits, Jerking The Trigger And The Unhumble

triggercontrol

I have learned over the years of shooting the best shooters in the world , do jerk the trigger, even if you cannot see it with the naked eye. We all do it ,even if its to an exceedingly nominal degree. There is no such thing as a perfect trigger pull. We are by nature imperfect. Unless you are Data the android, and even then, neither can he.

We have all done this and pulled a shot into the 9 ring or something to that effect. Often we blame the ammo, the weather, or the coffee, (I always blame caffeine, see my other thread. LOL)., the fact of the matter is that the best shooters in the world are the most humble people in the world ,even if they seem arrogant on the outside. In order to succeed, you must become your own hardest critic and embrace mental discipline.

The worst shooters in the world are the ones who don't admit to screwing up and don't learn from it.

At times when I am at a gunshop, a little woman may walk in about 30 years of age and there is a big "bubba" type behind the counter and she asks him to show her a good home defense pistol. The testosterone filled sales guy wants to show off and whipps out a 5 inch S&W in .500 or a Ruger in .357. She looks at the gun very intimidated and tells the clerk that she has never shot a gun in her life.

Instead of recommending that she take an NRA course or practice dryfiring with a .22LR or a .177 CO2, he proceeds to get her a shotgun and a box of magnum loads. This is insanity and testosterone overload. Alot of these folks who claim to know how to shoot are ballistically challenged and are often poor shooters. They are the same people who cannot be humble. To them, unless its a 1911 in .45ACP or a Smith .44 or .500, then its a pellet gun. I personally think that a Glock 20 in 10mm would be more effective, but thats just me, but we all know that shot placement is key and that I can kill you with a Ruger MKII loaded with CCI Stingers with good shot placement.

My point is this. This subforum deals with screwups. The point is this. : Lack of humility leads to poor shooting and extreme jerking of the trigger. We all do it and in varying degrees. Stupid people perpetuate bad habits. Its our duty to teach good habits to decrease "screwups" . Fundamentals are key. I recently purchased a Witness Tanfoglio and the incident described above was experienced where a young lady was intimidated and given bad advise. I almost stepped in, but the owner is twice my height and weight. He could have taken offense, its his turf and I didn't want to tell him how to run his shop. ,but once a "screwup" ,always a "screwup" and perpetuates bad habits. We need to help those around us understand the truth. Thanks for letting me vent a little. Hey!!, I like this place.

Edited by triggercontrol