Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT Pistol and One-Handed Shooting

AEuropa

I've been on the fence regarding the SIRT pistol for about 3 years due to the standard concerns. However, with my newbie self going to CO Nationals later this year, I decided to pull out all the stops and ordered one with a few extra magazines. It showed up in the mail this weekend and today was my first chance to try it out.

Originally, I had planned to remove the battery and simply use the gun for dry fire with a resetting trigger, however after properly adjusting the laser for my needs (just at the top of the front sight) I found that it is easy to focus on the front sight while observing the laser with my peripheral vision.

I haven't used it for my dry fire drills yet, because I like to add in new changes incrementally so that I know which changes are working and which ones are not. But I did use the pistol for about 10 minutes while laying on my couch focusing on a white wall and working on SHO and WHO shooting. I pulled the trigger twice SHO, correctly passed the gun to my left hand and then pulled the trigger twice WHO, then passed it back to the right hand for 2 more trigger pulls. Within just a few minutes, I noticed that my trigger pull became much more refined and the laser (mostly) stayed where it belonged and didn't "streak" or bounce like it did when I started the practice.

While time will tell, I think that this may lead to improvements in my SHO/WHO shooting that would've taken many thousands of live fire rounds to correct since I'm not yet able to discern the relatively minute sight movement that throws off a shot into the C zone at 10 yards.

I still intend to continue to put on the belt and do my regular dry fire practice, for now I intend to supplement my training with 5-10 minute blocks of additional trigger control practice (SHO/WHO and also while using a metronome) throughout the day.

This post probably isn't a revelation to most of the benos universe, but maybe it can help other shooters decide if the SIRT pistol is something that they can add into their training regimen.

I just got a SIRT, and I'm using it a lot for SHO/WHO drills too. Lately I've been practicing the USPSA classifiers with SHO/WHO.

The resetting trigger has definitely shown me things that mashing on a dead trigger couldn't. From live fire, I knew that I tended to push shots low when shooting at speed, but I couldn't really tell if it was because of recoil timing or trigger control (turns out it's trigger control).

I still do single shot and gun handling skills with my real gun, but for multiple shot drills, I've moved to the SIRT.

I'm really enjoying the LASR software, too. I wear red shooting glasses so that the camera can see the green shot laser but I can't.