Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Security Cameras

I am about to be moving into a new home at the end of this month.

My first priority is to install a security system.

I've found several with "HIGH" reviews on Amazon, but when you really research them, it appears as though they're easily hackable.

Does any one have any experience with this and/or recommendations?

I was thinking about a Lorex 8 Camera system.

[Reqs: 8 or more cameras, DVR, Mobile App, cameras must survive the elements]

Thank You

We have a Dropcam. It's hidef enough that you can actually recognize people from about 6ft away. We just have one pointed at our front door, but its already caught a couple nefarious things. Pet sitter not doing their job, someone stealing our mail. We're really happy with it.

Kevin

Friend was asking the other day about these-- and wanted to be able to view a set from away from home. He was asking if that was a security risk, connecting them to the outside for viewing.

There are services that one can use, or locally hosted software that requires outside the home access (via one's router/firewall settings).

Any comments on off-site viewing ?

I am still researching it. I know ADT offers an insanely expensive system that allows you to use your phone to view the house.

But I think the Lorex system I found will allow me to remotely log in, I just need to "research" a little more on any outside security risks.

Hackers etc.....

I went with a frontpoint system and like it quite well with one exception. They only allow you to have 50MB stored on their "cloud" at any one time and you can only upload 500MB a month. With a single camera on the front door the traffic was enough to exceed my storage when using hi-def clips so, I had to reduce the resolution to that of most cctv systems. You can of course get more stoage but that costs more per month. I love the idea of cloud based clips but its not very economical. I was hoping to have a single home security and automation system at a reasonable cost but it looks like I'll go with a ccvtv system and the frontpoint.