Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving powder in the powder measure

Alamstutz

I also used to leave powder in the hoppers. Didn't really mind in my early days if the thing got discolored. I was only using 700-X for my shot shells and it didn't seem to matter to me, even when the hopper got pretty dark.

Then I started metallic reloading and now it disturbs me to not see the powder level due to the staining. So, in my experience, 700-X and Win 231 both do a number on the tubes and I now clear the powder after just about every session. I've never found anything to clean the tube satisfactorily and resorted to actually buying replacements. I guess I've gotten a little picky in my old age.

I leave the powder in the hopper, with a masking tape label on the front to tell me what powder is in there. I haven't noticed much discoloration at all. For those who are getting a lot of discoloration, what is your reloading room like? Does your loading room have windows? Are you getting sunlight in there?

My loading room was converted from what was a large storage closet in the basement. There are no windows. The only light the room gets are when I am in there working.

It may be worth a try, for those in windowed rooms, to take a cardboard sleeve and cover the hopers when not actively loading with them.