Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Piercing Primers...

mic2377

I have been having a problem lately with piercing primers. The last trip to the range, it 2 of around ~65 rounds.

Here is the setup:

18" AR, Nordic barrel w/Wylde chamber, LMT bolt, adjustable gas block

Here is the load info:

PMC brass, trimmed to 1.750

Hornady 75 BTHP

23.5 of Varget

OAL 2.250

CCI-400 primers

I do not think this load is too hot. It shoots great - sub-MOA out of my rifle, and reliability is 100%. The brass seems to look fine, no ejector marks or swipes. The primer is quite flat, however the CCI-400's seem to flatten at WAY below any sort of max load. I suspect that the primers are the problem here, as I read that the CCI-400's are soft/thin and not really intended for such loads.

So, I assume that getting a different primer, IE CCI-450, 41, of Wolf SRM would probably fix my problems, correct? Thanks for your help.

The brass seems to look fine, no ejector marks or swipes. The primer is quite flat, however the CCI-400's seem to flatten at WAY below any sort of max load. I suspect that the primers are the problem here, as I read that the CCI-400's are soft/thin and not really intended for such loads.

So, I assume that getting a different primer, IE CCI-450, 41, of Wolf SRM would probably fix my problems, correct? Thanks for your help.

Yup!

If you're shooting an AR, take a close look at the tip of your firing pin. After a few pierced primers, it'll probably have at least a dimple, dead center or has been cut into a sharp point that will make piercing even more common.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...