Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Witness 10mm Compact springs

Tengu

I recently picked up a used Witness 10mm Compact, and out of the box it's a great gun with lighter handloads (180 gr Montana Gold CMJ and Rainier 180 gr Plated HP, both at ~950 fps), very accurate and reliable. The problems started when I tried out some hot Doubletab loads (165 gr listed at 1340 fps in Glock 29 and 180 gr listed at 1238 in Glock 29, haven't chronied them yet through my Witness) and started getting failures to feed every 2 or 3 rounds, the bullets hanging up partway into the chamber. I would like to try some heavier recoil springs to see if that would correct the problem with the hotter loads, but this pistol has dual coil recoil springs, and the Wolff site says that their recoil springs are not available for models with dual coil springs. Does anyone know if there is a supplier that could provide replacement dual recoil springs in a heavier weight, or would it be possible to install a new guide rod that would accept single coil springs? I love this pistol, but I want to be be able to enjoy it with full-power ammunition as well as target loads!