Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Backer

RoGrrr

I'm fortunate that I can walk out my front door and practice. Consequently, I shoot several times a week so I built a target stand. I also bullet trap since I cast my bullets.

I had picked up some 24 x 30 inch cardboard which I use as backer board. Several years ago a contractor was installing rotary files in our office building and I was able to score their scrap 'board' so I carried it home. Now I'm almost out.

After several hundred shots into it, there's a big hole so it gets replaced every week or so. I'm now running out of it and wondering where I can get more of anything to use.

What do you fellas use and where do you get it ?

So far, for me at least, the thinnest cardboard I can find seems to work best. I'm thinking that if I can not find a big piece when I need to replace one I could just cut out the entire A zone, cut a replacement and tape it in with some packing tape. Supermarket is not a bad place to score free cardboard. This is what I'm currently doing.

But honestly, ordering a fat stack of official USPSA targets and just taping as much as possible then tossing is starting to really appeal to me. I'm sure this is what I will end up doing.

I've been hanging a backer board and then taping a piece of fish wrapper (AKA newspaper) on it. Then I tear off a piece of blue painter's tape (1-1/2 wide) and stick it on the paper. I put 4 or 5 rows of 5 on the paper and shoot them from 25 feet. The reason I use 25 feet is that's where we shoot bowling pins so I figured that should help my pin counts. It seems to.

I was using post-it notes but after running out of them and finding out how expensive they are (I had gotten some from the office when I was working) I decided to look for something else. Hence the tape.

I shoot 10 shots at each one so in a short time I can eat up a few boxes of ammo. I buy a case of 10 bricks at a time now.

Anyway, the newsprint hides the damage to the backer with each additional page but eventually I need to change the cardboard. I tape targets so I understand that but eventually there's not much left of the board.

I'll check behind the grocer's now. I hadn't thought of that one. Thanks.

The supermarket near me usually smoosh-bundles(is that even a word?) all their stuff for recycling so I sometimes go in and find a stockboy or ask one of the dept's around the edge of the store to try and get some big pieces before they crush them down. The dude stocking produce is a good bet too, usually smaller. Sams or Costco would be good but I doubt they would give any away...

Good Answer !

It's been so darn long since I was by a body shop that I'd forgotten about those big boxes. I'd say for a 12 Pack, I could get them to save me a life-time supply.

Thanks for that one, Wade.

Find a local bodyshop.

Ok here is your best bet if you live by and are a member of costco. Go in and ask for a few slip sheets. They are pieces of cardboard that are 36x48 inches. they are nice and flat. I work for costco and we throw away hundreds a day. I use these for target backers all the time

Babaganoosh

Thanks for the heads-up on the slip sheets. The nearest Costco is about 60 miles from me so it doesn't look like I'll be getting around there for a while.

I was also thinking about stopping by a furniture store to see what kind of shipping boxes their mdse comes in. I'd bet there are more furniture stores than Costcos.

So here's my list so far:

grocers

body shops

furniture stores (Costcos)

I'd bet walmarts put their cardboard in recycling dumpsters so they can sell it. So, they probably wouldn't turn any of it loose....

I manage a Lowe's store, and we bundle our cardboard for recycling, however I get requests often for boxes from customers and have no problem giving out as much as they can carry if it's not already in the bailing machine. Head there weekday mornings before 10AM and you should have no problem scoring all you need. Most stores stock shelves from their inventory delivery trucks from 4am-10am 3-5 times per week, and just about everything comes in master carton boxes which are broken down and discarded.

Alex

Update on backer

I stopped at a Home Depot and scored several big boxes. On my way home I stopped at a body shop and hit the jackpot. Mgr there told me I could have ALL the large cardboard boxes I want. I loaded up on it and strapped it onto the roof of my car and went home happy.

When I ask for large cardboard boxes I explain that it's to support targets so they understand what I don't want. The shop mgr told me about a sportsman's club about 25 miles from my house which I didn't know about so I'll visit there Sunday to join.

I have a source for combat-size targets rather than paying $1 each. I set up a "light table" using a storm window with a couple of fluorescent lights under it. Then I taped a combat target on the underside and trace the outline onto a piece of butcher paper with a magic marker. Lowes, HD and Gordon Food Service have paper to do this with. It adds up to about 15 cents per target.

Then I stopped at a shop that sells lawnmowers and scored some of his shipping crates made out of relatively thin wood to make my target stands out of. I have to disassemble to but that's not hard to do with a crow bar and hammer.

Now all I need is a piece of excavator's "road plate" to make a big 45 degree trap with.

• 1 month later...