Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Precision Load - Reloader 15 & 175gr SMK

southpaw187

Hello everyone, thought I'd share with you a 308 load recipe for my precision rifle that worked great for me. Apparently its the military's M118LR load. Mine isn't exactly the same because I used Winchester brass. Here is the link of where I got the recipe:

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=87

Rifle: Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" barrel, trued action/bolt, Timney Trigger, B&C Adjustable medalist stock. Night Force 3.5-15x50 scope

Brass: Winchester (I did not cull any). Flash hole reamed, primer pocket uniformed, full length resized, shoulder set back .002 from fired case, trim length 2.00".

Powder: Alliant Reloader-15, 43.1 gr

Primer: Federal Large Rifle Match (210M)

Bullet: 175gr Sierra Match King BTHP

C.O.A.L.: 2.81" (fits in internal magazine)

5 shot 100 yard group = .40" center to center from the prone position off a bipod and rear bag. Group pic is attached

I shot 95 rounds of this stuff in one day. The majority of that was at a 500 yard 60 shot prone F-Class match in Mesa, AZ. Out of 5 competitors in the F-T/R division that day, I took first place with a 580-13x. My scores were consistent on all 3 strings. By no means am I an expert shooter, so I'm pretty sure that this load outshoots me. I also had shot about 7 rounds over my chrono , but I couldn't get one reading. Either somethings wrong with me or the chrono, probably me. Once I gather velocity data on the load, I'll update this post. I will say that I did not see any signs of an over-pressure condition and my bolt never got sticky. My goal was to meet or exceed the performance of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in my rifle, which I have done. I hope others have similar success with this recipe.

post-22646-0-16019700-1320442023_thumb.j

Edited by southpaw187