Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mitch Boyd

muleymaniac81

So, here's what I've been doing w/ a Walther P99 airsoft in my back yard, I do the following with 14 rounds in the magazine,7 yards to a pop can:

1)From Surrender, free-style

2)Low Relaxed, free-style

3)Surrender, strong hand only

4)LR, strong hand only

5)Surrender, weak hand only

6)LR, weak hand only

7)Table start, free-style

8)table, strong hand only

9)table, weak hand only

10)Surrender, turn and draw, free-style

11)LR, turn and draw, free-style

12)5 yards behind box, step up and shoot, free-style

13)3 yards to the left, step right and shoot, free-style

14)3 yards to the right, step left and shoot, free-style

15)3 magazines on transitions, both left and right

16)2 magazines on groups, free-style, not in a hurry

Total: 266 shots, takes about 45 minutes

Took the Concealed Carry Course today. The shooting aspect was not accuracy based, only safety. I learned some things on the range though. For one thing, I'm yanking the trigger. Group was consistenly slightly low-left of aiming point when trying to go at a slightly faster than normal speed. 20 shots in the size of a silver dollar. Not impressive from 3-5 yards, but not horrible. Transitions were slower than I would have liked (2 center mass, 1 head shot, 2 center mass), but accuracy was there. Most startling revelation was on the 5 rounds as fast as safely possible strings. Splits were not bad at all, but time is not as important as accuracy. I'm obviously focusing on the target and not the front sight when rapid firing. Also, I was forcing the gun back down during recoil instead of letting it recoil on its own. Result: 5" group about 5" low-left of other group (center to center as relating to group position.) I will admit that I haven't been getting any trigger time in over 3 months, just a ton of dry firing and airsoft training. Lesson learned: more trigger time, better trigger control, don't fight the recoil, and FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT. Any more suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

MM81

Finally got to shoot my new Taurus 1911 yesterday. Looks like I'm gonna be spending about $300-400 more to get it right. That seems like the fun part to me. Definately gonna need new sights, factory sights are drift adjustable, but not for elevation. At 15 yards, my 7-shot groups were around 2", but about 5" low. I got the windage adjusted, but I still have to absolutely cover the plates to hit them. Not what I want. So, first mod will be adjustable rear sight and, I'm thinking, a FO front. Next, extended slide stop, magwell/mainspring housing, and grips. That should get me started. If anyone has any suggestions, fire away. I'm new at this and would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,

MM81