Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it enough for workout for this sport?

mark_henry

Hi!

I am from Thailand, very new here and this is my first post of this forum. I am also new in shooting sport. Normally, I work out 3 days/week by starting with run 6.05 kms (around 3.78 miles) in 35 minutes and then work my total body out for 1.5 hours start from legs through biceps. However, since I've been start shooting and I watched clip video of SWAT challenge preparation, I changed my schedule to be 5 days/week as follow:

Day 1, Day 5 - As my ex-3 day work out program.

Day 2, Day 4 - Push ups til failure, Pull ups til failure, Arm circle front and rear 20 reps each with 4 kgs (around 9 lbs) weight/arm then immedietly dry fire without rest(just for 1 set).

Day 3 - run 6.05 kms.

Sat or Sun is the day for shoot at range but the ammos in Thailand is very expensive and it's illegal to reload ammos by yourself without permission of the government so I don't have much chance to practice with the real ammos that much.

Is this program enough to prepare myself? Do I need to change something?

regards,

Nol

PS, I was a basketball player and still play almost every weekend afternoon.

• 1 month later...

I used to work out for smallbore competition during college, and that sounds very reasonable to me. The staples of that workout we used were treadmill warmups, then hi-rep endurance strength training. We would alternate legs days and arms days to give the muscles time to build. This was for stationary 3 position rifle shooting though, so it would likely be good to do short sprints and stops and footwork.

Also, you can practice anywhere at anytime by visualization, see your hands holding the gun, the sights lining up on the target, squeezing the trigger, and following through recoil.

Hope that helps.