Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just purchased Dillon 550B. Whats next?

JDucros

My new RL 550B just arrived yesterday straight from Dillon. Mr. Enos was extremely FAST with processing my order. It came 4 days after placing the order! I've got it unpackaged and ready to be put together, right now i'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it for a comfortable position. I may end up ordering the strong mounts later on but for now it'll probably be mounter directly to my bench.

I tumbled my first batch of brass in the Lyman 1200 the other day. I used the Lyman corncob media with about 350 cases. With the tumbler on a rubber mat on top of the carpet the vibration and noise wasn't all that noticeable in the next room with the door closed. I started it up and added brass 20 at a time. When the noise got to the level where I would have to talk over it for someone in the same room to hear me I stopped adding brass. That was at the 350 mark. I ran it for three hours(the manual suggested 2 to 4.) When the three hours were up I sifted the rounds out and was amazed at how clean and shiny they were. The inside of the cases weren't nearly as shiny as the outsides but they seem smooth and there weren't any large deposits in them.

Now, I want to say this about the Lyman tumbler. Anyone looking at purchasing a Lyman tumbler specifically for the built in sifter lid: Don't purchase this item for that feature. It's a great tumbler but trying to use the sifter lid on the bowl produces quite a mess, plus it allows dust to escape while tumbling brass. Once you remove the lid and bowl from the spindle on the tumbler there is no way to fasten the lid securely to the bowl. When you turn it over to drain the corn cob media, stuff pours out of the spaces where the lid doesn't make full contact with the lip of the bowl.

I'm going to try an all-thread and carriage bolt and wingnut to secure the lid for sifting next time. If that doesn't work then i'm going to buy a bucket and sifter pan.

Thank you for all your hints and tips. I'm going to order some bulk corn cob and walnut and try some of the suggestions mentioned above. As I do I will let y'all know how they do or don't work out.

Cheers,

-James :cheers:

James,

Glad to hear the Lyman tumbler worked well. In my experience, the inside of the cases never do get "clean", no matter how long you run your tumbler, so don't sweat it!

I had my first 550 mounted directly to the bench, years ago. My current loaders (one 550, and one 650) are both on strong mounts. The strong mounts are worth the cost, IMO, but you can get by without them if you have to. If I remember correctly, your bench needs to have some overhang....

I can't remember if anyone else said so... But I recommend a can of Hornady one-shot case lube. I spread a couple hundred cases on an old cookie sheet, and give them a quick, very light dusting with the lube...roll them around a bit, and hit them with another light shot. Whether you're loading cases by hand, or with a case feeder, it REALLY makes a difference in the way they go through the dies. One can lasts me for probably 8-10K rounds.

Good luck, and enjoy your reloader!

Art

Edited by aclundwall

The Hornady one shot works great on pistol cases. I use it even with the carbide dies and the resizing is much easier and smoother. BUT the one-shot doesn't seem to work that well in the rifle cases, especially the 5.56 and 7.62 from the ARs. The Dillon spray lube works very well on the rifle cases, use the same method as stated above.

Now, I want to say this about the Lyman tumbler. Anyone looking at purchasing a Lyman tumbler specifically for the built in sifter lid: Don't purchase this item for that feature. It's a great tumbler but trying to use the sifter lid on the bowl produces quite a mess, plus it allows dust to escape while tumbling brass. Once you remove the lid and bowl from the spindle on the tumbler there is no way to fasten the lid securely to the bowl. When you turn it over to drain the corn cob media, stuff pours out of the spaces where the lid doesn't make full contact with the lip of the bowl.

I have the Lyman tumbler... Before I got a media separator, I would just tip the tumbler, while running, upside-down over a plastic dish pan until no more media came out. It wasn't a flawless plan, hence my spending the coin on the separator. It worked ok until the nut rattled off and brass & corn parts went all over the place! :-P

scoob.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Lyman tumbler... Before I got a media separator, I would just tip the tumbler, while running, upside-down over a plastic dish pan until no more media came out. It wasn't a flawless plan, hence my spending the coin on the separator. It worked ok until the nut rattled off and brass & corn parts went all over the place! :-P

scoob.gif

I gave it a shot and I made an absolute mess. My wife came home early that day to find me spilling corn cob all over the place. I'm somewhat clumsy to begin with so I don't know why I thought I could pull that one off. Bought the Franklin Arsenal separator from Amazon.com with free shipping.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm willing to try anything if it'll save some money.