Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 gr lead rnfp

johnny7

Hey guys, is anyone using lead rnfp in competetion? I am a little partial to swc but can't find them local.

loads with wst and and overall length if anyone is using them would be helpful also.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I use them alot for my xd45 which won't feed swc. I buy the Missouri bullets. My RO's at local matches do not appreciate being exposed to the smoke from these bullets. We squad up before the match and then it's one or two guys that usually RO me for all the stages. They get exposed to alot of fumes over the course of a match from all the guns. I try to use the lead for practice and shoot moly coated bullets at matches.

I am using 200gr RNFP boolits from Missouri Bullet Company in my Colt series 70 1911 and my S&W 625 revolver. The first 1000 rounds were loaded to 1.200" overall length over 6.0gr of Unique and a Federal primer with a wee bit of crimp. Recently I reduced the charge to 5.5 grains, to lower the power factor closer to the minimum for ICORE, yet still function in my 1911. The drop in recoil is almost unnoticeable.

Leading is extremely minimal in my 1911, but present in the revolver which is still pretty new.

Because the profile of the RNFP appears to be the same as the pin busters from MBC, I am planning to up the charge a little and work up a poor man's pin load in the 200+ PF range. The 6.0gr load cleared pins pretty well last time, but still left dead wood on the table at times. Otherwise, I am quite happy with the load for shooting at steel or paper in competition, even if SWC boolits leave a slightly cleaner hole in paper targets.