Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to fit a DA sear

Griz

I'm switching a revolver from a MIM hammer to an old-style hammer with the pinned DA sear. The trigger won't fit under the new sear.

The obvious way to fit it is to trim the length, but I'm concerned that I need to remove so much metal that I'll be left with an un-hardened surface. It looks like I could remove some metal above the sear pin to let the sear pivot out a little more, is that the right way?

dasear.jpg

as long as the part "swings" out far enough, you need to remove material from the end that you have marked "B". As you fit the part, as long as there is a pronounced "hop" as the trigger transitions from the DA sear to the hammer (as opposed to a perfectly smooth transition)...you still need to remove material. If you remove too much, there will be a pronounced "catch" as the lower hook on the trigger catches the bottom portion of the hammer foot. Unlike the hammer and trigger, I would not be concerned about cutting through the surface hardening on this part.

Mark

I got it. Took me two hours test fitting and then trimming a few mils at a time, but I got it handing off perfectly. It's amazing how small a "jump" you can feel when the DA sear is too long. I bet my final cut to get it perfect was a quarter mil or so.