Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting to buy a new STI single stack

Corey

I've got the Trojan, bought it two years ago and its been flawless.

I really like the flat top slide and the scallops on the front have been fine. For the 950 or so they run I'd buy one again. 10,000+ rounds through it and its still very tight and the slide/frame fit is just as nice as the wilson/night hawks one of my friends shoot with.

The big ole horse head on the side isn't to my likeing but its gone on the newer ones.

Grab a Trojan and some Tripp Mags and go blast away.

Edited by rrflyer

I've got the Trojan, bought it two years ago and its been flawless.

I really like the flat top slide and the scallops on the front have been fine. For the 950 or so they run I'd buy one again. 10,000+ rounds through it and its still very tight and the slide/frame fit is just as nice as the wilson/night hawks one of my friends shoot with.

The big ole horse head on the side isn't to my likeing but its gone on the newer ones.

Grab a Trojan and some Tripp Mags and go blast away.

Are there no rollmarks on the slide now on the new ones or just no head? I havent seen pics of any without it yet.

haha, while I have a funny feeling I'm going to be outshooting my singlestage press this summer, Id like to crank out some rounds with it first

Spartan!

Trojan is no where near worth it. Don't let these folks sell you on that. If you are ticking with a .45 then the Spartan is the way to go. I've got a lot of rounds through mine, it's loosened up a little but so has a six inch .45 Trojan that Benny Hill worked over.

You won't go wrong with either, but I've liked the fit on the Spartans better. Hell I've bought three of them. Just can't walk past a 500 dollar 1911 .45 some days...okay most days.

Funny, but the overwhelming majority of folks voting in the poll seem to disagree with you....and, generally speaking, the folks here are pretty well versed in the topic.

Hmmmm....I've handled a number of Spartans and not one of them has been fit as well as my Trojan, or that of the other Trojans I've handled. I have a hard time believing I've only handled the worst fit Spartans and best fit Trojans.

Nobody sells the Spartan for $500 either. The lowest you can find them is right around $625, so you're off by 25% ;)

Chris: I bought my Spartan for under $500 new when they first came out. The fit on it is about as good as it gets. I have seen some new Trojans and they are not fit as well as the Spartan's I've seen. The last ones I checked were at the nationals and the Spartan was tighter. I wish the Trojan had a checkered front strap with 25 LPI. That way I would not have to cover up the dipples with skate tape. I still need to checker the front strap on my Spartan. Thanks, Eric

haha, while I have a funny feeling I'm going to be outshooting my singlestage press this summer, Id like to crank out some rounds with it first

Spartan!

Trojan is no where near worth it. Don't let these folks sell you on that. If you are ticking with a .45 then the Spartan is the way to go. I've got a lot of rounds through mine, it's loosened up a little but so has a six inch .45 Trojan that Benny Hill worked over.

You won't go wrong with either, but I've liked the fit on the Spartans better. Hell I've bought three of them. Just can't walk past a 500 dollar 1911 .45 some days...okay most days.

Funny, but the overwhelming majority of folks voting in the poll seem to disagree with you....and, generally speaking, the folks here are pretty well versed in the topic.

Hmmmm....I've handled a number of Spartans and not one of them has been fit as well as my Trojan, or that of the other Trojans I've handled. I have a hard time believing I've only handled the worst fit Spartans and best fit Trojans.

Nobody sells the Spartan for $500 either. The lowest you can find them is right around $625, so you're off by 25% ;)

We always disagree on this point, G-ManBart and I. I just think the 1K mark is bad point for 1911s regardless. Spend 500/700 more and get into a Baer or try to find a used Dan Wesson for under 1K or an old beat up series I Kimber. STI really has several high end single stacks at least by cost. STI makes great frames/slides but they are still best suited to a custom builder as the factory guns from STI I've seen just aren't worth 1k, to me of course, again as always others mileage will and does vary.

The Spartan really is a hell of a deal for 625 or whatever you pay for it, I've always paid less, but others mileage may vary. It's just the Trojan ain't worth what it costs. Frame is forged, like the Spartan, and all the lock work is exactly the same, rear the rear site is an STI bomar copy and I actually like the rear site on the Spartan better. Go back and read some of the posts by Benny Hill regarding the Spartan. He said they were fit about as well as anything to come off a factory assembly line. Support STI by all means, they support IPSC, obviously we shooters do too. Both the Trojan and the Spartan will need trigger work and the Trojan will need a fiber optic front site. Spartan comes with plastic in the front site and not fiber optic or at least all of mine have, so put a piece of real fiber optic in there and let it rock. I can't believe I am championing the low cost alternative as I've done anything but personally, bought two 1911's this month alone. Just don't feel you need to spring for the Trojan if the Spartan better fits your budget. It really is the best "low" cost 1911 around currently.

Edited by chrisjohn

Chris: I bought my Spartan for under $500 new when they first came out. The fit on it is about as good as it gets. I have seen some new Trojans and they are not fit as well as the Spartan's I've seen. The last ones I checked were at the nationals and the Spartan was tighter. I wish the Trojan had a checkered front strap with 25 LPI. That way I would not have to cover up the dipples with skate tape. I still need to checker the front strap on my Spartan. Thanks, Eric

I know more than a couple of folks who've had both, and dealers who sell both and nobody else seems to be saying the Spartans are fit better than the Trojans. I'm not sure how many Spartans I've handled, but it's got to be multiple dozens at this point and I have yet to see one that's fit as well or better than any Trojan I've picked up. Generally, they're okay, but nothing impressive. I simply find it hard to believe that's all coincidence. R,

We always disagree on this point, G-ManBart and I. :) I just think the 1K mark is bad point for 1911s regardless. Spend 500/700 more and get into a Baer or try to find a used Dan Wesson for under 1K or an old beat up series I Kimber. I just bought a CBOB and a CCO and they are great weapons for the 2009 MSRP or less, the 2010 pricing is a real stretch though.

The Spartan really is a hell of a deal for 625 or whatever you pay for it, I've always paid less, but others mileage may vary. Its just the Trojan ain't worth what it costs. Support STI by all means, they support IPSC, obviously we shooters do too. Both the Trojan and the Spartan will need trigger work and the Trojan will need a fiber optic front site. Spartan comes with plastic in the front site and not fiber optic or at least all of mine have, so put a piece of real fiber optic in there and let it rock. I can't believe I am championing the low cost alternative as I've done anything but personally, bought two 1911's this month alone. Just don't feel you need to spring for the Trojan if the Spartan better fits your budget. It really is the best "low" cost 1911 around currently.

Actually, it's at 26 to 2 that disagree with you as well....not just me :roflol:

I agree the Spartan is the value king right now amd I agree that for many, stepping up another $500-700 will buy a "better" gun like a Baer (it won't perform any better, but it will be "nicer").

The "worth" of something is determined by whether people will pay the asking price for it. I bought a Trojan and was happy with the product and price. I've also spent more than four times that much for a pistol and been happy with what I got for the price. It's all relative.

Reality is, so far, all but two folks who've voted seem to think the Trojan is worth the asking price....that's the only correct answer, not anybody's opinion. R,

Hello: Here is a pic of my Spartan. I have not even cleaned it after it's last outing yet. It has about 5300 rounds through it now. It is also getting some nice marks on it from holster wear. I don't dryfire so the marks are from shooting in matches :cheers: I still need to checker the front strap and undercut the trigger gaurd more. I may even add some more cuts on it. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-126479350522_thumb.jpg

post-9254-126479351228_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I'll have to agree with G-man on this one. The spartans I have seen have been 500$ guns, nothing more and in my opinion you got a 500$ gun....oh wait they are 625$...you still got a 500$ gun. The Trojans aren't anything special but from what I've seen they are better. The only fault on the Trojan is I would rather have a bare front strap so I can checker it than the stippling but other than that I think they are worth the money. With that said if 625$ is all you can afford in a 1911 then the Spartan isn't a bad gun for that price it just isn't as good as the Trojan.

Also, if you take my advice I sent you in the PM you can see which one you want for yourself biggrin.gif

Finishing up my Trojan build right now.

Nice bbl and slide fit and general good finish. Beavertail to rear frame tang could be better, and the ejector was loose.

The slide is much nicer than that on the Spartan . . . The cuts and style of the slide were a main point of concern to me.

The worst thing about the Trojan which could be easily corrected is the front strap treatment. I could do without the Trojan logo on the slide too. Mine has no horsehead.

What we really need from STI is a Single Stack shortblock kit.

I've called them and they do not have one, but that would be the ticket for a good SS build platform. As you all are aware short blocks are available for LTD platforms, why not a SS platform?

My Trojan has about 2500 through it or so. Like many others have mentioned, I'm not a fan of the front strap either. I also wish mine didn't have the horse head. The bluing seems a bit thin as well, but I figure that will add some character. Anyways, here's a picture. B)

STI.jpg