Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anodizing Lightweight Frame

Early IPSC'er

Please forgive me if this has been covered in the past--I'm somewhat infrequent in my visits so this may have been dealt with already.

I picked up a Lightweight Colt Defender the other day and would like to have the front strap and trigger guard checkered and the bottom of the mainspring housing and frame slightly rounded. In talking to my local gunsmith he said that he didn't know of anyone that he could send it to to re-anodize the frame when he was done doing the work and therefore suggested passing on the alterations as it would leave the frame "soft" in the checkered/rounded areas.

I know that other gunsmiths have checkered/altered lightweight frames in the past. Does anyone here know of someplace that could re-anodize the frame???? OR is this really even necessary--I'm woefully ignorant of metallurgy.

Thanks for your help.

I just had a light weight commander frame done (last year) by Novak, www.novaksights.com/modifications_for_1911.htm#FINISHING

Great quality and service, easy to work with. They do all the checkering as well.

Edited by DJM3808

I just had a light weight commander frame done (last year) by Novak, www.novaksights.com/modifications_for_1911.htm#FINISHING

Great quality and service, easy to work with. They do all the checkering as well.

Thanks, Dan. Looks like he charges $175 to anodize the frame--seems reasonable--I appreciate the lead.