Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Triggers & Tac Sol .22 Uppers

johnnywitt

Hey Folks, I'm new on here and have a question about JP Triggers. After talking to some 3 Gun Folks, I've decided to go back to a single stage trigger.The 2-stage doesn't seem too controllable when you get on it for doubles and triples, at least for me. I practice a lot (I have 2 ranges on my place) with a Tac Sol .22 upper that runs 99.9% with a Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger in my lower.

Would I be happy with the JP for moving back and forth between .22LR and 5.56? Does the JP have the "notched hammer"? I plan on getting JP to do the install their trigger and get their "Speed Hammer". I just don't want to have any reliabilty issues with the Tac Sol upper, or if I'm shooting some military primers in 5.56, yet I still want a 3-4lb trigger. Is the JP for me, or is their another single stage that will work better for the .22 upper. Too bad Geissele doesn't make a single stage because the quality of their triggers and their CS is very high.

In my experience the only way to get a JP trigger to run with the Tacsol upper is to use a full size non notched hammer and a full power hammer spring. The trigger pull is a bit heavier than one using the yellow hammer spring and speed hammer but only marginally.

The JP speed hammer is not notched. I have the JP trigger with speed hammer and yellow springs under my Tac Sol LT upper. I have had 2 FTF out of 300+ rounds carrying the rifle hunting small game and shooting steel. The lower is my backup for 3gun.

JP has a red spring for the hammer and it is for hard primers/tactical use when 100% reliablity is required. The red spring is from them direct only I believe and gives you a 4lb trigger.

Tell them what you are doing when you send lower for the trigger and they will get you set up.

Switching between the two would be up to you, but you will like the JP trigger. JP trigger is easy to shoot fast and accurate.

I just dropped a JP modular into a firebird lower, and the installation went smoothly. The trigger breaks very cleanly, and has a good short but solid reset. I am a little let down on the pull weight. JP says they ship them at the low end of the weight scale, but mine breaks at almost 5 lbs. This is way above what they advertise. It is new, so I haven't had a chance to break it in. I'm hoping a good many rounds and some gun butter will help it slick up, but for what it cost, I shouldn't have to do that. Again, it is very crisp, absolutely no creep,and a good reset. It seems like it will be a very "shootable" trigger, so we will see what happens at the range. Again, a little let down, but it's not so bad that I'm mad about it.

Since the purpose of my dedicated upper is to practice for three gun, what are most of the top 3 gunners using for a trigger? I don't think any of them are using 2 stage triggers, are they? I would like to get the JP 3-4lb trigger and if I have some FTF occasionally in .22LR I can live with that, although having FTF in 5.56 would be pretty unacceptable. How are you fellas setting up your .22 uppers. I have a DD carbine rail on mine right now, but I think that I might put a VTAC, or something else that would more closely mimic a 3 gun carbine.

My FTF with the Tac Sol upper,JP trigger were with a dirty rifle in below freezing conditions and Wal-mart Fed bulk ammo. Had more FTF with mil spec fire control and yellow springs. Friend has mil spec fire control , yellow spring on trigger, mil spec spring on hammer = 99.9% reliabilty.

JP trigger is popular in 3gun. Would like to get another one to replace the 2 stage trigger in another rifle.

I went through the same issue fairly recently. Had the JP trigger in its fairly stock form (parts wise, some ligtening via sear engagement adjustment per the manual) on my MSTN AR.

I got a TacSolns upper. Had many FTFs. When I put the upper on a friend's lower with the Giesele, no FTFs. So, we put a standard weight hammer spring in my lower and the FTFs disappeared. But, the trigger break was heavy as you would expect. After going back and forth between my lower and my friend's (with a nicely tuned Giesele), I decided to install a Giesele in my lower. Credit goes to Hoser for the initial recommendation. With a light enough 1st stage (mine is <3lbs) and minimal travel in the 1st stage, I really don't expect that I'll be giving up much time on the close in stuff. And, I believe my long range hits will improve. My 2nd stage breaks just over 2lbs. We'll see...

Edited by Ken Kwiat