Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single stack mag well

Full mag

I just finished building my first single stack but I need some help with the mag well. I am looking at the combined mainspring housing and mag well, but I am wondering if some work better with different mags then others. I also want to make sure that what I do still leaves me USPSA legal, but gives me the best advantage I can get. Also any advice on mags will be helpful also, I still have buy them. Here is a pic of my build, and thanks for the help and advice...

Hello: Pretty hard to go wrong with the S&A magwells. They work with most mags with base pads. They also make them in different styles and materials. You may want to weight your pistol to make sure it is not overweight. As for mags you may have to try many different brands till you find the one that works for you. I like Wilson 47D's for 45, Metalform/Springfield(9rd)and Tripp(10rd) for 9mm and Metalform Elite in 45 for my 40. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I just finished building my first single stack but I need some help with the mag well. I am looking at the combined mainspring housing and mag well, but I am wondering if some work better with different mags then others. I also want to make sure that what I do still leaves me USPSA legal, but gives me the best advantage I can get. Also any advice on mags will be helpful also, I still have buy them. Here is a pic of my build, and thanks for the help and advice...

Can't go wrong with the S&A, the Tech Well, SVI, Dawson, etc, etc. Find one that fits you. I like the CMC 10mm mags for my .40 and they run 100% in my two single stacks. I have had all the mag wells I listed but settled on this one. It fits the box, works with my mags, and feels best with my hands.

post-11000-126429461282_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobobooie

Can't go wrong with the S&A, the Tech Well, SVI, Dawson, etc, etc. Find one that fits you. I like the CMC 10mm mags for my .40 and they run 100% in my two single stacks. I have had all the mag wells I listed but settled on this one. It fits the box, works with my mags, and feels best with my hands.

What magwell is that in the photo?

Chris

I loves me some Techwell system! I put the large model on mine and it fit the box, but didn't let me seat the mags as solidly as I wanted, so I put it on a disc sander and shortened it maybe .20". I'm using Wilson mags with the DE extended basepads and they work perfectly. I've also used Tripp system mags and CMC mags with an extra spacer added between the basepad and bottom of the mag body.

In a mag I really wish I could come up with a hybrid of my own. The Wilson and Tripp basepads both come off easily, but the Wilson has tabs at the bottom of the mag body that make getting the spring/follower out harder, and running the mag brush up in them isn't as easy. I like the Wilson tube and follower better though (the Tripp will swell and drag on the inside of the frame). If someone would make a combo of the best of those two I'd buy a small pile :)

The CMC's I have work fine, but you can't pop the basepad off and it's a pain to compress the spring, then capture it with a pin, etc to get the follower out, then the spring out....too slow when you have to clean 4-5 mags after nearly every stage! R,

What magwell is that in the photo?

Chris

JimJoyceCustom.com W.Va gunsmith/machinest. He has photos on his web site.

post-11000-126430748679_thumb.jpg

Are the Dawson Single stack Ice magwell legal??

Thks

Flyin

Yup

The only combined magwell/MSH I know of is the Smith Alexander. The Ice is 2 parts as well is the SVI. The Techwell is a magwell with its own grips.

I built a Caspian Single stack a couple of yrs ago and forgot it was a tactical frame that had the magwell built in. Its not very big but I can't put any other magwell on. I was thinking about getting it out this spring.

Flyin

• 1 month later...

The CMC's I have work fine, but you can't pop the basepad off and it's a pain to compress the spring, then capture it with a pin, etc to get the follower out, then the spring out....too slow when you have to clean 4-5 mags after nearly every stage! R,

Your CMC's must be the old the Shooting Star design (welded bottom). McCormick Power Mags have the same base pads as the Wilson D47. In fact, the base pads are interchangeable.

Which raises my own question: I need to add extended base pads to my CMC Power Mags to work properly with my new Ice magwell. Should I go with the CMC extended, Wilson Extended, or Dawson Extended? I can't find the measurements for the CMC or the Dawson, so its difficult to be sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I do note the Dawsons are $10 compared to the $5 CMCs, but if they're long enough and I don't have to grind the front end myself, they might be worth it.

Anyone else using an ICE with CMC Power Mags? Anyone have the specs on either the CMC extended basepads or the Dawson basepads for 1911?

currently using an S&A with CMC powermags without issue. Thinkin about trying some different combinations of mags/wells. I dont like the follower tilt i can get with my CMC mags, maybe ill try their followers first.

• 2 weeks later...

currently using an S&A with CMC powermags without issue. Thinkin about trying some different combinations of mags/wells. I dont like the follower tilt i can get with my CMC mags, maybe ill try their followers first.

+ 1 on the S&A magwell, have one on a Colt 1991 and it works perfectly. I use both Wilson mags as well as Shooting Star mags with the basepads and they all work flawlessly.

Your CMC's must be the old the Shooting Star design (welded bottom). McCormick Power Mags have the same base pads as the Wilson D47. In fact, the base pads are interchangeable.

Which raises my own question: I need to add extended base pads to my CMC Power Mags to work properly with my new Ice magwell. Should I go with the CMC extended, Wilson Extended, or Dawson Extended? I can't find the measurements for the CMC or the Dawson, so its difficult to be sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I do note the Dawsons are $10 compared to the $5 CMCs, but if they're long enough and I don't have to grind the front end myself, they might be worth it.

Anyone else using an ICE with CMC Power Mags? Anyone have the specs on either the CMC extended basepads or the Dawson basepads for 1911?

I just ordered some CMC extended base pads for the Power Mags and I'll see if they fit the box. I don't think my SS gun has ever been in a box, that I can remember, so I don't know how close the regular base pads fit.

I can manage with the stock pads but, I would like to have just a little bit more extension to be sure. Shooting the IN SS/Prod/Revo match so I will know soon enough how well they work.

They're cheap, they're plastic and I have a sander, they will fit eventually. :rolleyes: I shoot a S&W 1911 with standard Novak non-adjustable rear sight so I think it will be pretty close.

I had to trim the front lip of the CMC 10 round Power Mags for the Ice magwell. Just a couple minutes with a file and sandpaper did the trick. B)

I just ordered some CMC extended base pads for the Power Mags and I'll see if they fit the box. I don't think my SS gun has ever been in a box, that I can remember, so I don't know how close the regular base pads fit.

I can manage with the stock pads but, I would like to have just a little bit more extension to be sure. Shooting the IN SS/Prod/Revo match so I will know soon enough how well they work.

They're cheap, they're plastic and I have a sander, they will fit eventually. :rolleyes: I shoot a S&W 1911 with standard Novak non-adjustable rear sight so I think it will be pretty close.

I had to trim the front lip of the CMC 10 round Power Mags for the Ice magwell. Just a couple minutes with a file and sandpaper did the trick. B)

Did you call and order them or find them on the wbesite? last time i checked i couldnt find them there. I too will be shooting the SS/Prod?revo match in warsaw next week :)

Did you call and order them or find them on the wbesite? last time i checked i couldnt find them there. I too will be shooting the SS/Prod?revo match in warsaw next week :)

Just got off the phone with them. Wanted to know if they had them in stock and if they would ship right away. She said they'd go out tomorrow and would definitely be here by early next week. She couldn't answer the box question.

Just got off the phone with them. Wanted to know if they had them in stock and if they would ship right away. She said they'd go out tomorrow and would definitely be here by early next week. She couldn't answer the box question.

good deal. I'm debating on getting an Ice magwell and the dawson pads for my CMC mags...

Mine are the current version, but CMC doesn't make a 10mm Power Mag, so they still have the welded bottoms. R,

I have used several different Magwells and S&A are by far my favorite. I'm running one on my Springer build up with CMC Match Mags with no problem. I spend a lot of time blending in the magwell for a seamless finish. I also cut a radius opening in the front strap for quicker mag stripping (if needed) and round off some of the FS checkering (I cut mine at 20 LPI, pretty standard). The radiused cut also 'flows' into the magwell blending. I tend to be an asthetics freak, but if it's for a customer it's gotta be perfect....

Hello: I have a new favourite magwell. The Dawson Ice with the no gap front. It is as slick as snot :roflol: I have one on my Spartan 9mm with Tripp mags and the new Dawson base pads for the Tripp mags. The next one I will be trying is the Spartan 45 I have with the Dawson magwell(no gap) and the new Dawson base pads for the Wilson 47D's. That will leave just one 1911 with the S&A magwell that is blended into the frame. Thanks,Eric

I got a no gap Ice for my S&W 1911 it's a nice piece I really like it. They B.O. my base pads for ACT mags, they are being anodized and should ship in a couple of days. I blended the magwell to the frame it looks cool I'm excited about this setup.

Tim