Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Status of new 9mm Magazines !

sinnsyk

I just got back from the range with the new 9mm mags. I ran about 200 rds thru my Witness match with NO NOSEDIVE issues whatsoever. I had everyhing apart for cleaning so I thought I would post a pic of the change to the new mags. The spacer is now on the back instead of the front. I was able to get 17 rds in the new mags, though I had to use a "thumbsaver" to do so. I could not get the last two rds in by hand. The gun did cycle fine with the 17ds.

012-1.jpg

Let's let Henning tweak them and see what he can get out of them. We need to get to 23/4 rounds. Also, is there a big stick coming out Henning, or do we have to get the cutoff wheel and the welder out? If we do that, do we have springs and followers to make it work?

JT

Yeah Jim, the problem isn't holding 15 or 18 rounds its that it cant hold 22-24 for open... when someone loads to 23 and runs 5-10 mags through it without problems ill be happy.

Hey everybody, I'm new to the witness pistols and when mine first jammed it took only a breif inspection for me to find the problem with the mag design. I'm pretty excited about the new 9mm mags, because I love the gun. I intend to carry it everyday once I can get a few new mags. Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, I'm new to the witness pistols and when mine first jammed it took only a breif inspection for me to find the problem with the mag design. I'm pretty excited about the new 9mm mags, because I love the gun. I intend to carry it everyday once I can get a few new mags. Thanx

Contact Henning, the sponsor of the vendor forum.

I just recieved my new mags on friday. I'll be trying them out today to see if they work. The three I have with the spacer in the front only run with small frame followers. I used some old CZ followers and they work ok. The lips don't seem to keep the bullet to the rear of the mag very well. I have to be careful on reloads because if the bullet creeps forward too far I'll end up with a double feed jam. The chrome mag with no spacer that my Stock 2 came with runs with no problems at all. Strange.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, those with the new-design 9mm large-frame mags, how goes it?

Any issues pop up, or are they solid?

I'm more of an IDPA guy so I'm not concerned with extended mags and such, just want regular ol' ones in 9mm that work in the large frame Match...

• 2 weeks later...

Bump... Still looking for info if you guys with the new 9mm mags are still running trouble-free? Early next week I've decided to pick up a new gun and am trying to decide if I want to try a Match in 9mm for the second time if the mags will run right now, if not I'm going to go the more expensive and less detail-strip-friendly route of going with a 9mm 1911-patterned gun.... so please chime in if you're running the newer mag design. Thanks in advance.

Bump... Still looking for info if you guys with the new 9mm mags are still running trouble-free? Early next week I've decided to pick up a new gun and am trying to decide if I want to try a Match in 9mm for the second time if the mags will run right now, if not I'm going to go the more expensive and less detail-strip-friendly route of going with a 9mm 1911-patterned gun.... so please chime in if you're running the newer mag design. Thanks in advance.

If you like the feel and ergonomics of the Witness Match, you should consider looking at the CZ's before looking at 1911's.

(I converted from CZ's to Tanfoglio's because I like to tinker and it is much easier to tinker with a Tanfoglio. I was sold on the CZ's because of their ergonomics fit my hands better than a Glock or a 1911.)

If you like the feel and ergonomics of the Witness Match, you should consider looking at the CZ's before looking at 1911's.

(I converted from CZ's to Tanfoglio's because I like to tinker and it is much easier to tinker with a Tanfoglio. I was sold on the CZ's because of their ergonomics fit my hands better than a Glock or a 1911.)

Reason I went with a Tanfoglio over CZ is because I can achieve a 1.75 lbs trigger

on Tans with very short pretravel(almost a 1911) I'm not a trigger rider so it works for me, if you are a trigger rider, trigger on a hinged trigger can break inconsistent coz of the design. Your finger can pull at the bottom of the trigger(early break) or on top(late break)!..cant do it on CZ..most I can do on CZ is 2.75

Thanks guys, but I've detail-stripped a CZ before... that's NOT what I'm looking for, between that, hammer-camming and squishy trigger pre-travel, I consider the Tanfo's to be far superior. Still looking for updates on the performance of the new 9mm mags...

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie here, but I have been reading for a while, and this forum is what led to my purchasing a new witness Match in 9mm a few weeks ago. The gun came with the old style mag (spacer in front) and orange follower, but my local dealer got me a new style mag (spacer in rear) and swapped them for me. Well, I went to the range last weekend to put a few hundred through my new toy, and here is the result. Very accurate, amazingly accurate for the money. Two problems, one being very annoying. The follower is supposed to lock the slide back after the last round is fired, and only did about 50% of the time. When it did lock the slide, it apparently only "barely" locked it, because when reloading the mag and pushing it back into the gun, the motion of my hand bumping the mag up into the gun would cause the slide to release, therefore chambering a round and putting me in a firing position. I also had two jamming issues which the range manager could not find a reason for. I was shooting reloads, and still need to research the jamming issue. But my primary concern is the slide/mag problem. With the gun unloaded and an empty mag in, i rack the slide 3 or 4 times, and on the 4th, a HARD rack, and it locks the slide, but the slide release is only halfway up in the lock position. Then if i shake the gun a bit and bump the frame with my hand, the slide suddenly and unexpectedly releases, which is not good. What gives? Why such a perfect gun with such a problematic mag? I traded 2 guns to get this one, and i love it, but don't trust it in my safe for defense if there isn't a fix for this. I have yet to call EAA, as I have read about their helpfulness in prior forums......thanks again, and GREAT FORUM!