Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super 627

Chillywig

If you are consistently having two flyers, I would mark the chambers and shoot groups out of each and see if you can find if you have two charge holes that are off or damaged. On one 610 I had one charge hole that was 75fps off the other 5 holes due to a bad cut in the cylinder. Accuracy was OK, but I had to beef up the powder charge....

You might have a couple holes a little bit off....

DougC

Really? Winchester Supers? They seem like they don't want to fit the Hearthco moons.. are they just tight or do you need a different thickness moon? The Starline and RP brass seem to feel loose but not that bad. Maybe I will try them again. I have an ample supply of Winchester supers..

I, too, have plenty of once-fired Winchester .38 Super Brass and they are too tight in the Hearthco Clips and

will not seat all the way into the Cylinders of any of my (3) 627 Supers.

No problems at all with RP or Starline in any of these guns.

OK. My Herthco clips are old. They measure .035 for thickness, and have a split in the ear. My original clips came in a prize package at the IRC. Dave does that just to get you hooked. I think Dave will make clips for whatever brass you want. I got the clips first, and then found brass to fit.

If you are using 38 supers from your open blaster, you will have to address the case buldge. You can't run them in a pass through sizer because they are rimmed. I use dedicated brass for my revolvers, but still make sizing a seperate step. On my 650, I use the regular Dillon decap and sizer in station one. At the powder check, station three, I use a Redding Titanium Carbide sizing die #87271 with the decapping pin removed. With the locating button removed, you can adust this die to size clear down to the web area of the case.

My brass seems to last forever. I'm still using my original lot of brass. I put a fair amount of bell, and I crimp the heck out of it. The brass has been reloaded 30 plus times. Richard

The 627 needs a bullet at .357", for some reason they are not the nominal .356" like most supers are chambered for. I've been using bear creek .358" bullets swaged down to .357" and they are very accurate. Bullet fit is what decides how accurate these guns can be especially with such a hard bullets, if it is undersized, it will not fly true.

I did check the 38 super Winnies and they do fit with some effort. Cool!

Yep, S&W chose to use larger, that is .357", than SAAMI spec (which for 38 Super is nominally .356") for the barrel diameter on the various production runs they have built. That's why guys that have tried 9mm ball in the 627's have had such horrible accuracy and the .356" Super bullets are only marginally accurate.

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just lucky. After some extensive testing with everyones favorite bullets, I settled on a .356 115 RNL from Oregon Trail. I"ve been using this bullet for six years. Five years ago, I quit cleaning the barrel. It remains mirror bright, and continues to get X's. Richard

• 2 months later...

:surprise:

Dont seem to be able to find any solo 1000 around Omaha NE, had to order some,

what other powder do you all use in the 627-4 38 super that is clean.

I just tryed some w 540 I got a hold of for my Caspian super open gun its accurate but

dirty as heck in the super revolver. This 627-4 is fun to shoot but Im not very

happy with the accuracy I get out of it, Ive used 356,357,358 sized lead 155-160

grain lead bullets.Longshot,540,4756,titegroup,3n38=4756 is the only farely clean

powder Ive got on the shelve. :(

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D

:surprise:

Dont seem to be able to find any solo 1000 around Omaha NE, had to order some,

what other powder do you all use in the 627-4 38 super that is clean.

I just tryed some w 540 I got a hold of for my Caspian super open gun its accurate but

dirty as heck in the super revolver. This 627-4 is fun to shoot but Im not very

happy with the accuracy I get out of it, Ive used 356,357,358 sized lead 155-160

grain lead bullets.Longshot,540,4756,titegroup,3n38=4756 is the only farely clean

powder Ive got on the shelve. :(

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D

Jim, In a 38 special I like the Solo 1000. In the 38 super I like Clays. Some of the guys have luck with Winchester Super Target. But a lot of the Winchester powders can be greasy in a Revo. Later rdd

An old thread, but I'll throw my $.02 worth in :)

I shoot Rainier or Berry's .356" plated bullets through the gun, and it groups admirably. My load is either 5.0 of 231 or 4.0 of Clays. I shoot steel, so power factor's aren't a "factor"

I also use Remington nickle-plated brass, and use this brass ONLY in the 627. I never have extraction and/or loading issues.

I've experienced problems loading when I tried .357 jacketed & plated bullets seating the moonies all the way in. I use S&W moon clips exclusively