Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quiting Shooting...

John Thompson

Due to a new baby, my new found love of paintball, and constantly being burned out on shooting I've only been shooting about 100 rounds a month while instructing at work. I shot a match last weekend and shot about as well as I ever have. I didn't place real high due to all the effed reasons that have helped make me sick of shooting in the first place: stuck magazines, commiting stupid procedurals, etc.. But my actual gun handling and pure shooting skills were right there. One second draws, smooth reloads, mostly A hits, and mind without mind shooting. I had fun.

Obviously I have to practice but sometimes too much shooting is too much.

What helps me is to switch guns every so often....from open to limited to L-10 back and forth...........I then got a single stack 45 for L-10 instead of using the SV and wow.........what fun............I shot a 3 gun match last month and used my M-1 Garand along with my SS .45. Now thats fun to do. I actually did very well with the M-1. My point is if you switch off every once in awhile you don't get bored......especially reloading that M-1 in a 3 gun match!!!!!!!!

• 14 years later...
52 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Excellent job, finding this 15 year old posting    :cheers:

How else is he going to get to 50 posts (or whatever the limit is b4 one can sell stuff)? OP's kid is most likely in high school now ;) 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:30 PM, tanks said:

OP's kid is most likely in high school now ;) 

High school!!! Haha! Love it!!! ? You are probably right!

I do have to say on the topic however: Been shooting a lot lately, maybe too much. Had a match yesterday where I really needed a good classifier to move up a notch, and I put way too much pressure on myself. Worst day I have had in a long time. Decided to take this upcoming week off totally. No dry fire, no nothing. Mental and physical rest are needed periodically, and I am at that point.

Sometimes taking a break ( 1week, 1 month, 1 year) can help you find the "fun" again. Obsessive compulsive dry firing and drills can really take a toll, and become work.... its a game, have fun.

• 4 months later...

Took a 8 year break, life getting the way. Started back up in the spring. My son who shot with me before also started back up. Had a tear in my eye driving to our first match. My other 2 sons have shot as well. One getting bit by the bug, the other just dabbling. I am enjoying it so much my placement doesn't matter.