Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one using Berrys Plated 9mm?

Blaster

It looks like Montana Gold increased their prices.... their 124 gr CMJ 9mm bullets are $101 per thousand.... I just picked up 1000 Berry's 124 gr for $85 at my local shop (less than 2 miles from my home) FWIW.....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just started using Berry's in my G17 because the indoor range doesn't allow jacketed ammo, no issues so far, knock on wood, and I'm still working up a load for them, both the 115 and 124, but I'll go back to jacketed bullets once we go back out side.

when you do the math of price per bullet, it is cheaper to buy bulk MG rather than Berrys. I use 124gr hp from MG for my major load, and berrys 115 rn for my steel load. buying a case of 124 mg (3750 bullets) is cheaper than buying the same amount of 115gr berrys.

when you do the math of price per bullet, it is cheaper to buy bulk MG rather than Berrys. I use 124gr hp from MG for my major load, and berrys 115 rn for my steel load. buying a case of 124 mg (3750 bullets) is cheaper than buying the same amount of 115gr berrys.

Not if you buy at Powder Valley.

BERRYS 9MM (.356) 124 GR RN-DS (1000) Yes $63.66

That's a hard price to beat.

Another option is Precision Delta, they have great prices as well.

You forgot shipping on the PV price for the Berry's. ;)

MG 124gr CMJs are $78/K shipped if you buy a case. R,

FWIW, I purchased 147gr 9mm Berry's from Powder Valley. 3000 at $74.78/1000 + $1.00 ins + $11.95 shipping. Final cost $79.10 per 1000 for 147gr plated bullets. All Berry's bullets are double struck (resized after plating) so their size consistency is good. Running them with 4.5gr Power Pistol, CCI primers, mixed brass, 1.155 OAL yields 133.7PF

Yep the price per thousand goes down with MG but Berrys stays the same. I also love when the Post Office gets mad at me because MG stuck 3750, 124gr bullets in a large flat rate box. you should have seen the look on the lady's face behind the counter. She even put it on the scale to see if it was eligible. of course it was but not by much. She then told me "you know we lost $112 on this package" I said thats what flat rate is for good thing its not coming out of your pay and have a nice day.

I still use the Berrys in my open gun though. I just drop a 115gr rn on my normal major load and its as pleasant as can be for steel challenge. I dont get the plating issue either I havnt chronod it yet but im sure its above the 1200 fps specified. I do this because I shoot very little steel so I buy Berrys by the thousand instead of by the case like MG.

She then told me "you know we lost $112 on this package" I said thats what flat rate is for good thing its not coming out of your pay and have a nice day.

I would have asked her to prove it.. Pricing a 70lb package shipped priority from Montana gold to my house is only $78.02 :goof: So they really only "lost" $67. :sight:

I bought 2K of Berry's 124gr RN to try and was very pleased with performance out my Shadow.

So, I bought another 10K. They are easy to load, consistent in weight, shape and appearance; and are more accurate than I am :D

They are the cheapest plated/jacketed bullets I can buy locally, and getting 10K at once I got 8% off the going price too...

I just bought 1 case (3,000 bullets) of 147gr MG from MANNYUSA. They were $280 frt included. They also came in a US Mail flat rate box with at sticker marker $10.70 :D

Unfortunately I was not home when it was delivered to see the look on the carriers face. :blink:

I thought you had to order 6 cases from Manny? :blink:

No...that's just through the website. If you call, you can order just one case. I didn't know that either until I took a class and shot Area-5 with him. R,

Thanks Gman, that is great info that many people dont know and buying 6 cases may have been a deterent to buy from him.....actually pretty good news.

I thought you had to order 6 cases from Manny? :blink:

No...that's just through the website. If you call, you can order just one case. I didn't know that either until I took a class and shot Area-5 with him. R,

Thanks Gman, that is great info that many people dont know and buying 6 cases may have been a deterent to buy from him.....actually pretty good news.

That is correct. I called him and he sent them right out. He seems to be a geat guy to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any load data for 9mm Berry's in 124gr Round Nose using Alliant Unique powder and Remington 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers. I've finally got some time to use the press I got from Brian and until I can get some different bullets and powder this is what I have to work with.

Also, am I missing something or is there a reason why my Lyman manual(49th Edition) doesn't have any data for a 124gr 9mm round?

Anyone have any load data for 9mm Berry's in 124gr Round Nose using Alliant Unique powder and Remington 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers. I've finally got some time to use the press I got from Brian and until I can get some different bullets and powder this is what I have to work with.

Also, am I missing something or is there a reason why my Lyman manual(49th Edition) doesn't have any data for a 124gr 9mm round?

Use Alliant's data for a 125gr lead RN and you'll be set. R,

Use Alliant's data for a 125gr lead RN and you'll be set. R,

According to the chart from Alliant they call for 6.2gr @1170 and 31,300psi. The only reason 6.2gr sounds high is because they call for 8.2gr with Blue Dot however a buddy of mine is using the same Berry's bullets with Blue Dot but is using only 3gr which is more than half of what Alliant calls for. I'm not saying he's some kind of bullet wiz but how is it that his 3gr blue dot load works when alliant calls for 8.2 of blue dot?

The same friend suggested I load 5 rounds at 5gr, 5 rounds at 5.5gr, 5 rounds at 6gr, and 5 at 6.2gr. Is this necessary or should I just got straight to loading the whole box at 6.2gr for Unique?

I hope what I wrote makes sense, I'm exhausted.

I got everything set up and going today. I was again concerned when I saw that 6.2gr takes up the entire case. Once in the third stage of seating the bullet it was clear that there is absolutely NO space left over in the case. Once seated and crimped I could see where the powder would have had to have been compressed quite a bit. I made sure to check with a case gauge and OAL gauge and all the dimensions are correct but it just doesn't seem correct to have that much powder in the case.

Unique is the light flaky powder though so could that have something to do with it? I'm going to take them to the range tomorrow and test out the 20 rounds I have loaded in my Glock 17.

Thanks guys for any thoughts or comments you may have.

Cheers,

-James

I chronoed 124 Berrys with 6.0 of Unique,COL of 1.135 and i averaged out to 1150 fps

I got everything set up and going today. I was again concerned when I saw that 6.2gr takes up the entire case. Once in the third stage of seating the bullet it was clear that there is absolutely NO space left over in the case. Once seated and crimped I could see where the powder would have had to have been compressed quite a bit. I made sure to check with a case gauge and OAL gauge and all the dimensions are correct but it just doesn't seem correct to have that much powder in the case.

Unique is the light flaky powder though so could that have something to do with it? I'm going to take them to the range tomorrow and test out the 20 rounds I have loaded in my Glock 17.

Thanks guys for any thoughts or comments you may have.

Cheers,

-James

There's nothing wrong with somewhat compressed loads. All of my Open ammo (both .38SC and 9 Major) is compressed....at least it makes it impossible to get a double charge.

You're seeing this because you're using a powder that's pretty slow for 9mm. A faster powder, and a smaller charge, is much more common. How did you pick Unique in the first place? It's a pretty odd choice unless you're listening to someone who stopped following developments in powder 20 years ago!

I just got 1K Berrys 9mm 124 gr RN for $73.61 delivered from PV. ($63.66 + $9.95 shipping)

For the difference in quality, plated should save you one heck of lot more than $4.39/K! In fact, you're getting robbed at that price :surprise:

I may be odd... but I get plenty of accuracy with my Berrys, matter of fact with my loads- I see no advantage of using CMJ, FMJ, JHP. Even if the prices were the same I'd likely still use Berrys. I like the bullet profile better than JHP or CMJs....