Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one using Berrys Plated 9mm?

Blaster

Where do you get'em for 78/1000 shiped?

http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/ ;)

Yep. I think sometimes folks look at MG's prices and only look at the per 1000 price, not figuring that the per case price is usually something like 20% less. Right now those 124CMJ's are like $101/K or $290/3750 ($77.33/K).

MG is such a cool company to deal with that I avoid going on their site because it makes me want to buy bullets I don't need yet.....lol.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

115 gr Berrys with 4.2 of TG shoots 1" groups at 25 yds in a Ransom out of one of my Les Baer Kart barrels. I nearly fell out of my chair. I've been shooting expensive Hornady XTP, etc. for accuracy (still do for consistency) but I can't bad mouth Berrys like I use to...

PS- I wait until Cabella's has a sale and then I load up on them. I think they sell them at a loss as a teaser item. Sometimes if the order is big enough they will knock of even more if you email their "Quote" address..C

Edited by Baer45

I can get Berry's 9mm 115gr cheaper than MG. Berry's are $65/K shipped and MG would be $74/K shipped using the one case price +$5 residential. I save $9/K using Berry's or $8/K if I leave out the MG residential fee.

I think you were using the prices for CMJs. MG's 115gr FMJs are actually $290/4K or $72.5/K + $5 residential.

Man, I'd gladly pay $8 per K more for MG than Berry's....heck, after 10K it's only $80 more and it's about a 99% chance to be more accurate in most guns.

Precision Delta 115gr FMJs are $68/K shipped if you buy only 2K or $66/K if you buy 6K. I'd buy 6K and deal with the extra dollar per thousand. After 100K downrange it would be all of $100 more...not exactly worth worrying about. I do wish they'd kill the music on their website :roflol:

I did testing with MG bullets before and wasn't impressed. Also left a lot of flaking in the dies. That turned me off completely.

If there was metal flaking off MG bullets something was seriously wrong with a die or you got a mutant bad batch, especially if that wasn't happening with Berry's which have such a thin layer of copper on them.

I've only shot MGs through about half a dozen of my own guns so far, but they've been as good or better than anything else, accuracy wise. I can't imagine that they'd stand up to 1500+ fps, shooting 1-1.5" groups (25yds), in two of my Open guns and no less than four that friends own, if they weren't made well. Further, I can't recall ever hearing anybody else here say they've had quality problems with them. When you consider that the folks here are about the highest volume shooters anywhere, that's saying something. R,

I heard this rumor that the Montana Gold bullets are actually made by Armscor, which I guess is actually in the Phillipines.

Anybody here know if that is true?

I used to really like the Berry's but I discovered on my own that the sizes can vary. For example, for the .40 S and W, the Berry's would measure 0.399" or 0.400" or 0.401"

At fifteen yards for a 10 shot group, I would have 2 shots be fliers about 6 or 8 inches from the center of the main group. In a match, that could definitely be the difference between an Alpha or a Mike, hit on a no shoot. EEeekk!!

FWIW to ya'll, I'm casting my own...so I don't really have a dog in this hunt. I haven't quite used up all my Berry's in .40 and 9mm.

I haven't poked around the Berry's website in a while, but they used to sell a "double-struck" bullet. I am guessing that maybe the quality control would be a little bit better with those...but..yeah...I am ASSuming you would have to pay more for them. (sigh)

Edited by Chills1994

GmanBart wrote:

When you consider that the folks here are about the highest volume shooters anywhere, that's saying something. R,

You shouldn't poo-poo people's opinions on this forum, Bart, just because the guy has a double digit post count here.

An FYI...

http://www.freakshowmfg.com/

<_<

Edited by Chills1994

I did testing with MG bullets before and wasn't impressed. Also left a lot of flaking in the dies. That turned me off completely.

If there was metal flaking off MG bullets something was seriously wrong with a die or you got a mutant bad batch, especially if that wasn't happening with Berry's which have such a thin layer of copper on them.

Standard dies that I've used for all commercial loading. Redding Pro Series. Nothing fancy. 500 rounds and there was jacket flakes all over the place. And no it wasn't the brass, I know better. Loaded all sorts of FMJ before, even in Lee dies, and never had that problem. It was only with the MG bullets. Same dies loaded many other bullets and I clean my dies between lots or bullet changes for custom loads, so it wasn't grime or contamination.

When you consider that the folks here are about the highest volume shooters anywhere, that's saying something. R,

I realize that but when I have personal experience with something that goes against even the "experts" on here, that says something to me. I'll take my personal experience over anyone else's any day of the week. I'm sure everyone here thinks likewise.

I heard good things about MG bullets but never bought any. Guy wanted a custom load so he bought them and had them shipped to me to load. Fit and finish were not what I expected. Looked like a brass jacket like the Remington Golden Sabres, but the base of the bullet had a copper check that was pressed into the core and the brass jacket left a circle of lead. Not what I expected to see with a bullet that had high regard by competitive shooters. Don't have the invoice in front of me but I think this was back in August or September of 2009 that I ran the small custom load. That experience made me keep my wallet in my pocket.

GmanBart wrote:

You shouldn't poo-poo people's opinions on this forum, Bart, just because the guy has a double digit post count here.

An FYI...

http://www.freakshowmfg.com/

<_<

I wasn't poo-pooing his opinion at all and I actually didn't notice his post count. I think it's a pretty safe to say that some of the highest volume shooters around are the sorts of folks that post here. Since negative experiences related about MG are next to non-existent, that's saying something....that's all. :)

I realize that but when I have personal experience with something that goes against even the "experts" on here, that says something to me. I'll take my personal experience over anyone else's any day of the week. I'm sure everyone here thinks likewise.

I heard good things about MG bullets but never bought any. Guy wanted a custom load so he bought them and had them shipped to me to load. Fit and finish were not what I expected. Looked like a brass jacket like the Remington Golden Sabres, but the base of the bullet had a copper check that was pressed into the core and the brass jacket left a circle of lead. Not what I expected to see with a bullet that had high regard by competitive shooters. Don't have the invoice in front of me but I think this was back in August or September of 2009 that I ran the small custom load. That experience made me keep my wallet in my pocket.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that you aren't an "expert"...please don't think that, and it's this sort of info that I always like to store in the back of my mind in case I see or hear a similar problem in the future. It really just seems odd that you had a problem that doesn't seem to have come up before. I'm sure any number of things could make that happen, but if it was a common problem with MG bullets you'd think the group of folks that probably shoot the most of them would have run into it before. That's why I said it could have been a bad batch of bullets...stranger things have happened. I've only used their CMJ's in 115 and 147 (both 9mm) and neither one has any exposed lead around the copper check, so that's also a bit odd. I've loaded five (said four earlier, but remembered another) of their bullets using Dillon, Lee, Redding and Hornady dies and have yet to see a flake of jacket material (maybe 40-50K total) so it doesn't sound like a die compatibility issue either.

Since this thread is about Berry's I'll leave it at that, but for research/experimental purposes, if you'd like I'd be happy to send you a few MG 115 JHPs and 147 CMJs for comparison's sake :)

Double Tap Ammo uses the MG 115gr JHP now in their line. Supposed to be real good from the guys that shoot them. I guess everyone deserves a second chance, as I've gotten them before. I'll try some MG bullets and see what happens. Maybe it was just a bad day and I got a bad batch.

• 1 month later...

To answer the origianl question, yes I have used and will use again, Berry's in 9mm and 45ACP. They are cheapest when you buy them directly from Berry's at www.berrysmfg.com

You'd really rather pay $82/K for Berry's 124gr 9mm bullets than $80/K for Montana Gold 124gr FMJs? :surprise:

I used Berry's last year for USPSA and switched to MG this year. I wish I new how much better MG's were a long time ago or I would have never used the Berry's.

I bought the Berry's last year when they were closer to $80 per K for 147's. Now that they are $95 per K they are only $5 per K cheaper than MG's 147's. MG's are well worth the extra $5 for better accuracy, quality control, and shipping times.

Berry's took over a month to get me my bullets last time I ordered (last year). Montana Gold took 3 days last time I ordered from them.

If they are really $82 per 1000, I'll give them a try, but I just tried to check out a case of 3000, and it came to $310, which is $103.33 per 1000. Compared to $95.08 for the same Berry's load? Yeah, I guess I'd rather save the $8. These are going in my two kids glocks, I'm not sure they are able to take advantage of the extra "accuracy, quality control, and shipping times" since they are both D shooters and have a lot more to work on than an extra half inch of accuracy.

Help me out if I am missing something on the costs.

If they are really $82 per 1000, I'll give them a try, but I just tried to check out a case of 3000, and it came to $310, which is $103.33 per 1000. Compared to $95.08 for the same Berry's load? Yeah, I guess I'd rather save the $8. These are going in my two kids glocks, I'm not sure they are able to take advantage of the extra "accuracy, quality control, and shipping times" since they are both D shooters and have a lot more to work on than an extra half inch of accuracy.

Help me out if I am missing something on the costs.

Sounds like maybe you added the 147gr CMJ's???

The 124gr FMJ was the price I mentioned, and I was actually off a bit...they're $79/K for a case of 3,750 ($292+$5 residential).

Try these they are a lot better than Berry's and have a .012 plate versus .004 on Berry's. http://www.thebulletworks.net/09-124-PL-RN-p/09-124%20pl%20rn.htm They are only 71.8 per thousand.

You have to add $14 shipping (up to 2K, wich $14 increments every additional 1-2K), so they're really $79/K, which is exactly what the MG 124gr FMJ costs.

Try these they are a lot better than Berry's and have a .012 plate versus .004 on Berry's. http://www.thebulletworks.net/09-124-PL-RN-p/09-124%20pl%20rn.htm They are only 71.8 per thousand.

You have to add $14 shipping (up to 2K, wich $14 increments every additional 1-2K), so they're really $79/K, which is exactly what the MG 124gr FMJ costs.

Naw Three Thousand goes into a flat rate so it is $14 devided by three so it adds about 4.5 dollars some cheaper. But is takes less powder and recoil it less than jacketed is why I like them.

G-man, yeah the boys shoot 147 grainers, as the young one (9 years old) tends to pull his shots low on the poppers when he gets excited. The nice thing about a 147 grain 9mm loaded to about 139-143 PF is that the popper will usually fall when the hit is as low as halfway to the ground from the circle.

The old one (just turned 11 yesterday) used to pull his shots low, but is getting better and almost doesn't do that anymore.

So those prices (Berrys and MG) were for 147 grainers.

Chris

Naw Three Thousand goes into a flat rate so it is $14 devided by three so it adds about 4.5 dollars some cheaper. But is takes less powder and recoil it less than jacketed is why I like them.

That isn't how their website adds it up. R,

G-man, yeah the boys shoot 147 grainers, as the young one (9 years old) tends to pull his shots low on the poppers when he gets excited. The nice thing about a 147 grain 9mm loaded to about 139-143 PF is that the popper will usually fall when the hit is as low as halfway to the ground from the circle.

The old one (just turned 11 yesterday) used to pull his shots low, but is getting better and almost doesn't do that anymore.

So those prices (Berrys and MG) were for 147 grainers.

Chris

Oh, I've used lots of 147s, so I know what you mean. Precision Delta 147gr FMJs are $84/K (minimum of 2K). R,

I've used the precision deltas a lot. I have had a hard time with availability of the 147 grainers from them in the past year. Other than that, I like the bullets and I like the company. They support the sport well.