Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage/disadvantage 5" over 4"

tb1911

Are there any real advantages of going with a longer barrel for your particular platform, like for example, the M&P Pro 5" over the M&P standard 4" or the G34 over the G17, etc.?

On one hand, I could see the longer sight radius being an advantage, but does it matter at the ranges we typically shoot? Also, I find indexing a longer barrel easier, but longer barrel could take longer to get on target and it is more weight up front so transitions might take longer...

Have any of you done any side-by-side comparisons doing some standard drills?

What's the conventional wisdom?

Thanks!

Hello: The shorter pistol comes out of the holster faster. I know for me the Glock 34 is better at the longer distances like 20 yards or more than the G17. The longer slide takes me longer to get back on target but that comes back to my visual patience with the shorter pistol :roflol: I think it really depends on you. If a 4" works for you then try a 5" and see what happens. I do think a 4" pistol may work better for IDPA than USPSA because of the distances envolved. That is not a slam against either one since I shoot both. You may find that you like a shorter pistol for a certain type of sport over the other. Like someone has said before "that's why there's chocolate and strawberry" ( I like those two) :roflol: I do like the G34 better to answer your question and shoot it better. There I said it. Another interesting thing is my highest classifiers have been with the G34 and a 6" STI 2011 I built :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Not exactly the same but I have a 3.9" CZ Compact and a 4.7" full size gun. The differnce is amazing the 4.7 is much easier to shoot and produces much better hits.

Our IDPA clubs have long hard shots 40 yards on some stages, accuracy is definately more important in these matches. No slam on IDPA I shoot it when there is no USPSA match.

If you have a 4" shoot it. I've seen an 80 year old lady kick butt at a Steel Match with a Bersa 380, so in the right hands even short guns can do well.

We had the 50 yard standards classifier a while back at a local match. I thought I did pretty decent with my open gun (I'm in A class).

A local GM with a g17 kicked my ass handily. He likes the felt recoil of the 17 v. the 34.

Sight radius should be one of several factors in making your decision.

Are there any real advantages of going with a longer barrel for your particular platform, like for example, the M&P Pro 5" over the M&P standard 4" or the G34 over the G17, etc.?

On one hand, I could see the longer sight radius being an advantage, but does it matter at the ranges we typically shoot? Also, I find indexing a longer barrel easier, but longer barrel could take longer to get on target and it is more weight up front so transitions might take longer...

What's the conventional wisdom?

Thanks!

I believe Flex's normal comment would apply...pick one and practice :)

I think that the longer sight radius is helpful for most people on the harder shots. I don't think the longer length is going to hurt your draw speed much, and draw times don't normally factor into match results in a significant way....it shouldn't even be an extra tenth of a second. The extra length shouldn't hurt your transition times much with the types of guns you're talking. If you were comparing a long, heavy gun versus a short light gun you'd see more difference, but going from something like a G17 to a G34...not enough to worry about. The longer barrel will let you use a touch less powder for a soft shooting load, but we're already talking guns that are pretty mild to start with.

In the end, those sorts of details generally only come into play at the highest levels, if at all. R,

Well, the IDPA classifier is pretty much a huge collection of standards drills. I have shot the IDPA classifier numerous times with both my Glock 17 and 34, and find I can step up to the line and shoot identical scores (low SSP Master) with both guns on demand. So for me the answer would be: no, there's no advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

i always got better accuracy out of my G34. never knew if it was the sights or the mechanical accuracy of the pistol. it was actually not too hard to shoot rabbits on the move with my 34, it was quite the gun. not sure why i traded it. huh, i guess i need another.

liontribe

I'm 99.9% an Open shooter but when dabbling in Production I shoot both a Glock 34 and a Glock 17. The longer sight radius on the 34 really helps me get accurate shots past 15 to 20 yards.

What's perplexing, the 34 with its longer sight radius is also better for me on the really close hoser targets. I suspect the extra length just helps me point the dang thing a little better. A little more top of the slide hanging past my trigger finger must give me more of a sighting plane for better indexing on the target. But its definitely not a case where I'm using the front sight like I'm supposed to. (That's what the red dot is for, right?)

And newbie shooters, don't do as I say or as I do. I'm the poster boy on how not to win a match.

Bill