Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you shoot Cowboy Action Shooting?

DMAC

......I'm thinking about getting into SASS. It seems like it would be easier to get my 2 year-old and 8 year-old girls (and my wife) involved and interested SASS and it would be great to spend more time together doing something as a family that I really enjoy.

It's AWESOME!!!

And they're a SASS Club in your area:

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?High-Country-Cowboys-143

In the Carolinas you could shoot Cowboy EVERY weekend if you wanted to!

Come join the Fun!........AND the Passion!!!

• 3 months later...

I started shooting CAS in 2006. Started with Ruger Blackhawks in 45 Colt because that is what I had. Didn't take long to buy everything in 357 (38 special). Started also with Marlin 1894 rifle and a SXS Coach gun for a shotgun. Now I have about 21 Ruger single action handguns, 4 each 97 Pump shotguns and 3 SXS coach guns, and too darn many rifles in assorted calibers. I tried a Colt Lightning clone for a rifle, and also an 1887 lever action shotgun, neither worked well for me. Speed is the name of the game, so light loads of 38 special cartridges in your two revolvers and in your lever action rifles works much better than 45 Colt or 44 Magnum. Some people prefer '66 and '73 clones (usually Uberti) for rifles because they can have a short stroke kit installed, but Marlins are hard to beat for the price and reliability. Shooters sign up to shoot in different categories, some are age based, some depend on choice of firearm, some depend on choice of costume. Boots, Cowboys type hats, and long sleeve shirts are required to participate. We usually have a lunch after our match, and a couple times a year we have a BBQ with steaks, baked potatoes and all the trimmings. I look at this as the most fun you can have with your pants on... The email address for our club is klamath.cowboys at hotmail dot com.

• 2 weeks later...

Why doesn't SASS have any power factor requirements ? Didn't the original 45 Colt in BP have over at least 185.

Was just wondering.

Jess Christensen

Jess,

The Current SASS rules have a power factor. It is 60 PF or 400 FPS which ever is less. They also have a MAXIMUM velocity of 1000 FPS for the pistols for safety and target longevity since it is all steel.

Now for a bit of history as I remember it. Back when I started shooting SASS Matches in the Early 90's, they had a Minimum velocity of about 600 FPS and the Maximum of 1000 FPS. But there was no standardized testing procedures or enforcement. Also at this time such things as single action revolvers in anything smaller than 38 spl were very rare. Then came discussions about how a 3" revolver with a large barrel gap would not make the 600 FPS with factory (sorta like some of the issue with WWB 9mm). This carried on for a while and the velocity floor was removed (not lowered). Then the 32 H&R became more common and we had grown by a good 20,000 more members (4-5 years) and people were pushing the envelope on the No-recoil side. We were having problems scoring because the timer was not recording the shots and spotters were not able to see hits on the targets :sight: Then we got a couple more years of wrangling and they settled on the PF of 60 or 400 FPS. What this did was to make those shooting the 32's and the 38 short colts step it up a bit.

Example: 32 H&R with a 78 Gr Round Nose from Laser Cast has to push it at 770 fps to make the Bottom of the PF using the standard formula. Now the 45 Colt with a 250 Gr RNFP at 750 is getting a PF of 187 and can go all the way down to a PF of 100. Definitely sub minor (USPSA), but it is a different game. By the way, I am glad that we are not held to shooting the old 45 Colt "Horse Stopper" Load because my wife would not come out and play.

A good shooter and friend of mine also went on to dispel the myth of the "no/low recoil advantage" which he talks about in this link

The Open Range, Doc's Myth Busting

Sorry for the long winded post. Maybe Doc or one of the other SASS Shooters who's been around can chime in add to it. It does help to bring out the Why every once in a while so we can see if it is still valid :devil:

As a side note, we had a brand new shooter at our match today with a shinny new SASS number (3 days old) of 91472 :surprise:

Edited by Modoc

• 3 weeks later...

Why doesn't SASS have any power factor requirements ? Didn't the original 45 Colt in BP have over at least 185.

Was just wondering.

Jess Christensen

One advantage of SASS is that there are enough catagories for everyone. If you are interested in shooting an original BP load just choose the Frontier Cartridge or Frontier Cartridge Duelist category and you'll be fine. if you Want to shoot a 45 then shoot in the Classic Cowboy category which requires .40 cal or larger .

• 5 months later...

Certain costume-based categories aside, SASS rules do NOT require that a shooter wear a cowboy hat (or any hat for that matter) or cowboy boots. We had a new shooter who did not like wearing a hat. That's fine. Now, I don't recommend shooting in bare feet but work boots are fine. Combat boots or tennis shoes are not allowed but there are lots of other choices.

• 3 months later...

I got started in Multigun last year and I'm thinking about getting into SASS. It seems like it would be easier to get my 2 year-old and 8 year-old girls (and my wife) involved and interested SASS and it would be great to spend more time together doing something as a family that I really enjoy.

Any time I'm shooing I'm having fun, but I've found Cowboy Action Shooting to be the most fun competition event I've ever attended. They have been very family friendly and very welcoming to new shooters. It can be pretty expensive to get into the sport but we know that and we share guns and ammo with new shooters all the time. It may take many months before you can buy all of the guns and leather you need, in the mean time we'll loan guns and share gun carts at the match to keep you up and shooting.

• 3 months later...

I've shot Cowboy Action since the late 90's. Took the last couple years off and back at it again. Super fun. You can spend a ton on guns or get the basics. I switched to Blackhawks awhile back, they can still be found cheap, run good enough with a spring kit, and will run forever. Do spend the bucks and get a good rifle, short stroked 73's seem to rule around here. Doubles seem to be making a comeback, but 97's are popular.

We get a lot of IPSC shooters come to cowboy, I was bass akwards. Went from Cowboy to IPSC matches to work on improving my cas skills. Now I am trying modern 3 gun!

Fannie, saw your post up a few, how are you and Bill doing?

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot 1872 repros in 44 spec using 20 grains of black powder over 200 grain bullet. And an 1892 rossi reproduction in 44 mag with 30 grains of black powder and 200 grain bullet. And brass 12 gauge shells 70 grains of black power and 1 ounce in an eighth of shot. Lots of smoke and sparks couldn't be more fun. Although I really don't care for dressing up. My father is 65 years old and likes old antique stuff so its right up his alley. It is something we can do together without any arguments. It is some of the most fun I have all year.

I shot my first CAS match in 1987, I was 10. I still bring out the "cowboy" guns about once a year and knock the dust off. I shot my last match 2 years ago, (Buffalo Stampeed) I didn't even know what division to sign up for :surprise: . I am not going to knock USPSA, but CAS and Steel Challenge have to be the most family friendly shooting sports.

I don't know if they still do it or if it's just "allowed" at the local matches but they were letting sub juniors use 22 rifles and pistols and .410 bore shotguns.

I still have my first "race" gun. .357 blackhawk, hammer is bent up, trigger is thinned, hammer spring was ground to a smaller OD, dropped a leg off of the trigger spring, grip tape on the backstrap, cylinder pin is cut to fully eject .38s. I think it's all illegal modifications now :roflol::roflol: