Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you shoot Cowboy Action Shooting?

DMAC

I got started in Multigun last year and I'm thinking about getting into SASS. It seems like it would be easier to get my 2 year-old and 8 year-old girls (and my wife) involved and interested SASS and it would be great to spend more time together doing something as a family that I really enjoy.

DMAC,

Shot SASS in NC for many years. You used to have two good clubs up your way, one in Forest City and one in Wolf Laurel. SASS is a much more social organization than USPSA so it is typically easier to get the woman involved.

I have been shooting CAS Since '94 or '95 and just started into USPSA about 2-3 years ago. It has been a great family sport in that my wife and parents have all gotten involved with me making for a great time. One thing that we really like is that at larger multi-day matches we go and camp out with other shooters and have a good time together after the shooting is done for the day. There are some great clubs there in the Carolinas and a lot of great people (just like here) who are willing to help and introduce you to the different types of equipment and accoutrouments. I would look at theopenrange.net and cascity.com for being a couple of forums that have some pretty good information. If you have some specifics to ask, feel free, I'll try to help as best I can from CA.

Or steel challenge.

I've never shot SASS. It looks interesting, but like all games, people game the rules and so it becomes more about competition than dressing up and having a good time. Either way it seems like a fun sport, and I might try it someday.

i would give it a try, 'cept i think they'd frown on showing up in a tank top with tevas...

Outerlimits, If you come up for a shoot in Redding in August, I'll let you wear the tank top and Tevas :devil: You would need to at least wear shorts tho.

Heck, I might even spot you the gear if you need.

As they say "It's good to be the King (MD)" :roflol:

Edited by Modoc

I have the gear for "someday" but between pistol, 3-gun, ICORE and steel challenge there aren't many days left. Looks like a fun game. I took a class form Tequlia (Richard Young) a few years ago with my Dad. Fun bunch of guys but as for the "we cowboy shooters are in it for fun and arean't as competitive/gamey as you IPSC guys" its all hot air. These guys have different rifles and shotguns for different types of stages! One guy had 3 rifles, 3 shotguns and 2 sets of pistols in his cart and differnt ammo for different targets. Not gamey my foot!

I started into shooting sports with Cowboy Action Shooting in 2005, and added IDPA and USPSA the years following that. It is quite a bit of fun, but I have had to decide between the three sports (along with my fencing competitions), and SASS has taken a back burner unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

i would give it a try, 'cept i think they'd frown on showing up in a tank top with tevas...

You could go as an indian, :P feathers a loincloth and moccasins I have seen it before. :roflol:

Scary... very, very scary... :unsure:

You could go as an indian, :P feathers a loincloth and moccasins I have seen it before. :roflol:

Been there and done that. Down side is that a Scottsman is a bit too white in the skin for the loincloth. I am saving for the appropriate kilt tho and will wear it. :devil:

A good CA outfit is one like the Pancho Villa irregulars where you wear the white linen top and bottoms with a wide staw sombrero. There is a reason that they wore that style of outfit. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the comments. I picked a up a great rig, a custom B-Western from Mernickle and I've got two new Colt SAA in 45LC with consecutive serial numbers to go with it. I just got my Colts back from Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg Sports an he custom fitted single piece ivory grips to both and them and performed an action job as well. They're almost to pretty to shoot......almost.

Still working on the rifle and shotgun. I would love to get these now but Obama and Pelosi are going to be redistributing my earnings for me as they see fit.

Hello: I bought all the guns for "Wild Bunch" but never got a chance to shoot it. I have a Springfield GI, Cimmarron 1897 shotgun and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45LC. I should maybe sell them. SASS is more for family fun and is great for that. Most local clubs have pot luck dinners after the match. I know a couple of guys who shoot it because they have bad knees etc. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

DMAC,

I have shot Cowboy Action. Like every other sport, it has its ups and downs, good and bad. It is all about who you shoot with. I love to shoot, and if I am shooting with a good group of honest, good, fun competetors (sp.), it doesn't matter what the game.

WG

• 3 months later...

I went to a few matches and gathered some gear but never played. If you think 3 gun is expensive you should price out the gear the competitive shooters use in SASS. It's an eye opener to learn that a tweeked Colt 6 shooter costs as much as an open gun and you have to have two of them. Price the lever guns and they make an AR seem cheap.

Bullets down range with family and friends is always a good program and you'll know what your going to be for Halloween.

thats 3 more guns AND a wardrobe i havta buy....sorry ill pass for now...and forthose who know me, these big feet were not madefor any type of cowboy boot hehehehe (they are wide...how wide??? 6E)

Try 8-1/2F, all of my boots are custom <_< Of course I do manage to wear some of them for day to day

I went to a few matches and gathered some gear but never played. If you think 3 gun is expensive you should price out the gear the competitive shooters use in SASS. It's an eye opener to learn that a tweeked Colt 6 shooter costs as much as an open gun and you have to have two of them. Price the lever guns and they make an AR seem cheap.

Bullets down range with family and friends is always a good program and you'll know what your going to be for Halloween.

Yep, I traded off a decent/nice AR for an 1873 short Rifle in 357 and felt like I got a good deal. Rugers are not as bad on the pocket book as Colts, but a pair will still run you about $1100+ and good leather isn't cheap either.

I am the PR man for our local clubs and work with new shooters on how to get started for a "reasonable" investment. Also, anyone wanting to come to our local matches, I make the offer of "you by x ammo and you can use my spare set of pistols/rifle/shotgun or one of my other sets of leather. Yes, I have been playing this game for a while :cheers:

Halloween was a bummer, I wore my full cowboy duds to work (sans guns/leather) and NOBODY noticed :rolleyes: Of course I do dress "cowboy" with jeans, boots and a button-down shirt most days anyway :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of SASS matches around the Northern Virginia area? I've been shooting USPSA since 2005 but recently picked up 2 Ruger Blackhawks in .357, a Marlin 1984 in .357, and Win 1897 clone. I've had the itch to try out a SASS match but haven't found one yet since moving here 2 months ago. It looks like a great time and I can't wait to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of SASS matches around the Northern Virginia area? I've been shooting USPSA since 2005 but recently picked up 2 Ruger Blackhawks in .357, a Marlin 1984 in .357, and Win 1897 clone. I've had the itch to try out a SASS match but haven't found one yet since moving here 2 months ago. It looks like a great time and I can't wait to try it out.

Here are the SASS-affiliated clubs in Virginia:

http://www.sassnet.com/AClubs-VA-001A.php

Edited by Crunchy Frog