Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Window Server 2003

Alan Meek

Here goes,

I have a Windows Server 2003 that is currently showing in my computer the C: Drive as 1.0gb and free space as 0.99 gb. The C: partition is 35gb as reported in Disk Manager and chkdsk results.

I have seen this before and can not remember how I fixed it the last time.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

open My Computer, right click on the drive (c:) then click Properties. Check disk quota's enabled/disabled under Quota Tab

Possible solution.

C: Drive is not shared as the users home directory and profiles are on the D: Drive. (no quota tab)

Thanks

Also to add this is BDC.

Alan

Is this a dynamic drive, in a RAID array or anything similar? You should not have this issue at all on a Basic/static disk type.

Have you checked the server logs to see if it has reported an error on that drive/Array? You may also see about using the disk management tool to rescan the drives and update them as necessary.

I have seen a similar issue when someone set up a drive/array to be a Dynamic Drive in windows on a RAID-5 that had the boot partition on one logical drive and the Data on a different logical drive and windows just got "confused" somewhere along the way.

You may try starting here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590 and seeing if that helps.

On the outside chance, you may also try these suggestions on checking the swap file size, log file sizes, chkdsk, and the treesize program. I *really* like treesize as a diagnostic tool and for figuring out what files are eating up space on a server.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6127_102-0.html?threadID=355106

Is this a dynamic drive, in a RAID array or anything similar? You should not have this issue at all on a Basic/static disk type.

Have you checked the server logs to see if it has reported an error on that drive/Array? You may also see about using the disk management tool to rescan the drives and update them as necessary.

I have seen a similar issue when someone set up a drive/array to be a Dynamic Drive in windows on a RAID-5 that had the boot partition on one logical drive and the Data on a different logical drive and windows just got "confused" somewhere along the way.

You may try starting here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590 and seeing if that helps.

On the outside chance, you may also try these suggestions on checking the swap file size, log file sizes, chkdsk, and the treesize program. I *really* like treesize as a diagnostic tool and for figuring out what files are eating up space on a server.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6127_102-0.html?threadID=355106

Jon,

It is a raid configuration,

Thanks for the suggestions have been through diskpart and no luck.

Files are not eating up space. Disk Manager reports the correct drive size and space used/free space available and the drive is healthy.

chkdsk confirms the same as drive manager.

backup is backing up the same files size as as reported as used in drive manager and chkdsk.

Don't know how long this has been the state of the c: drive.

If I had any hair this last Monday I would be bald today LOL

Appreciate all the suggestions.

Alan

Jon,

Files are not eating up space. Disk Manager reports the correct drive size and space used/free space available and the drive is healthy.

backup is backing up the same files size as as reported as used in drive manager and chkdsk.

Alan

Hmmm, some other suggestions to try (grasping at straws)

When you used diskpart did you resize it to an odd size like 8 or 10GB or so or just try to put it to the size it "should be?" If not I would try that and just see if a pointer got stuck/confused.

Is it a Soft-RAID or a hardware RAID?

If it is a hardware RAID what size does the RAID utility on the card say the logical/physical drive size is? Do you have the latest RAID BIOS and RAID drivers for the hardware?

We had an issue about a year ago on one of our SQL boxes where there was an issue with an old RAID driver/BIOS combo we had that knocked the array totally offline. We had to update the SCSI BIOS and then remount the entire array and it was fine after that, no data loss, but I think I lost 10 years off my life when the tech that had hands on the server said "hey it wants me to initialize the array, I am going to say yes." and I screamed out **NOOooooooo!!** Fortunately he stopped before hitting the Y button! *phew!*

If it is a soft-RAID I would say to back everything up and re-setup the RAID array. I have never had good luck with the MS soft-RAID utility in a 0 or 1 setup and try to not set up a drive as Dynamic either if I can help it. For some reason whenever I make a drive dynamic I start having drive issues later on. If I leave it as Basic then no problems. *shrugs*

Jon,

Alan

When you used diskpart did you resize it to an odd size like 8 or 10GB or so or just try to put it to the size it "should be?" If not I would try that and just see if a pointer got stuck/confused.

Did not do a resize of the partition, this is a production system that is on the other side of the world that we remotely manage. We do have some hands available remotely but they are not System Administrators.

Hardware Raid

If it is a hardware RAID what size does the RAID utility on the card say the logical/physical drive size is? Do you have the latest RAID BIOS and RAID drivers for the hardware?

We had an issue about a year ago on one of our SQL boxes where there was an issue with an old RAID driver/BIOS combo we had that knocked the array totally offline. We had to update the SCSI BIOS and then remount the entire array and it was fine after that, no data loss, but I think I lost 10 years off my life when the tech that had hands on the server said "hey it wants me to initialize the array, I am going to say yes." and I screamed out **NOOooooooo!!** Fortunately he stopped before hitting the Y button! *phew!*

If it is a soft-RAID I would say to back everything up and re-setup the RAID array. I have never had good luck with the MS soft-RAID utility in a 0 or 1 setup and try to not set up a drive as Dynamic either if I can help it. For some reason whenever I make a drive dynamic I start having drive issues later on. If I leave it as Basic then no problems. *shrugs*

We diligently ghost the systems, applied a ghost image to a spare box and got the exact same issue.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Alan

Yesh, if the ghost got the same issue and you don't have local admin hands...then man....That is going to be rough.... :unsure:

Jon,

Alan

Did not do a resize of the partition, this is a production system that is on the other side of the world that we remotely manage. We do have some hands available remotely but they are not System Administrators.

Hardware Raid

We diligently ghost the systems, applied a ghost image to a spare box and got the exact same issue.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Alan

I've seen this a couple of time before on 2003 servers. I have no explanation for it but for some reason the

drive mgr for Windows decides a drive is a certain size and that is the end of that no matter what you do.

Since Norton dropped Partition Magic the best tool out there now is Paragon Partition Manager.

This handy tool should solve this problem easily and quickly, do a complete back first just in case.

I used Partition magic to solve a similar problem a few years back. Hope this helps

Here's the link www.paragon-software.com/business/pm-server/features.html#3

with the complete list of features.