Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 question

I just loaded my 8,000 9 mm round. Lately, I have been having a problem where on rare occasion the deprimer does not remove the primer. I ususlly catch it when I try to iload a new primer. But, somehow a few have slipped thru and at a match I get a click not a bang. Any idea why sometimes a 550 does not pop out the primer. It does seem to be happening more often. I am using mixed range brass. federal primers.

Thanks

Kurt

If you have a spare decapping pin try that. Or you can work on the tip of your pin as described on the forums elsewhere. I have this happen once in awhile as well and if I recall it is with Fed primers. They are softer than most. I got in the habit of looking for the spent primer to drop.

I case gage every round after loading. Not only does this catch things like oversized rounds, split case mouths and the like, I take the time to rub my index finger over the primer to make sure it's fully seated. This is also an outstanding opportunity to visually inspect every new primer to ensure it is, in fact, a new primer.

This thread should not have been moved here.

It is not a 550 problem. It is a CCI primer problem.

See the link I posted, or search. This is one of the most often asked questions here on the forums.

This thread should not have been moved here.

It is not a 550 problem. It is a CCI primer problem.

See the link I posted, or search. This is one of the most often asked questions here on the forums.

Thank you, I've been having the same issue. Read the post and guess what, it started when I switched to CCIs. Thanks.