Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting Slide Release XDm 9

HPD SRT

I love my XDm 9 for production. But my grip and huge hands and thumbs no matter how much I try to stop, always rest on the slide release. So if I'm doing a long stage or trying to do fewer reloads, there are many times where I lose count and the slide will not lock back due to my thumb position. Some will say, "Just keep track of your shots better, or plan your reloads", I do that. But as we all know things don't always go as planned.

SO, my question is, has anybody ever removed the exposed portion of the slide release on a XDm? Wrong area but also if anyone knows, is it Production legal? I'm not looking to take the function away just make it so I don't hit the dang thing all the time.

The best way for me to try this would be to get a couple extra slide releases and try different custom sized ones. Does Springfield offer factory parts for sale?

Any help? Thanks.

I love my XDm 9 for production. But my grip and huge hands and thumbs no matter how much I try to stop, always rest on the slide release. So if I'm doing a long stage or trying to do fewer reloads, there are many times where I lose count and the slide will not lock back due to my thumb position. Some will say, "Just keep track of your shots better, or plan your reloads", I do that. But as we all know things don't always go as planned.

SO, my question is, has anybody ever removed the exposed portion of the slide release on a XDm? Wrong area but also if anyone knows, is it Production legal? I'm not looking to take the function away just make it so I don't hit the dang thing all the time.

The best way for me to try this would be to get a couple extra slide releases and try different custom sized ones. Does Springfield offer factory parts for sale?

Any help? Thanks.

I would not modify the gun but modify your grip style for the gun.

Similar issue with my XD. I am just over 6'3" and if I hold it "high thumbs/thumbs forward" style like you would a 1911 or similar gun it will not lock back about 50% of the time because I am resting a thumb on the slide stop. I just shoot with a "locked thumbs" position (one locked over the other) and I don't hit the slide release. I have also tried with high thumbs and not resting my thumbs on the slide or side of the gun but it just does not work for me.

Friend of mine has an XDm .40 and I had to do the same thing shooting his as well. Another friend that shoots an M&P and is over 6'5" uses a thumbs forward grip and when he shoots my XD he hits the slide-stop.

Basically, If you can reach the slide and mag release without moving your hand it is just something you have to deal with unless you want to spend $$ and time to make sure whatever mod you make is still production legal. (I don't know the production rules so I will leave that question to those that do :) )

What you do in the end is up to you but I would start by experimenting with some different grip styles before changing the gun hardware.

BTW: I shoot high thumbs/thumbs forward with an M&P or 1911 style gun. For me it just depends on what gun I am shooting and if it has a thumb safety or decocker.

Edited by Classic_jon

Thanks for the reply. I have tried modifying my grip and am simply at the point where I definitely want to take some material off of the slide stop. I just can't see where in a competition, whether it's USPSA or a 3-gun, I would even need a slide stop.

Thanks for the info though I will try some different grips again this weekend at the match.

Not production legal in USPSA.

Really? Seems like it would be ok to take a part away from a gun rather than add.

Yeah, really.

See the following link to the latest update of Production division rules

USPSA update Production division rules

This issue is in the appendix D4, specifically 21.6. Unless Springfield has come out an XDm that does not have a slide release lever and it's on the approved Production division gun list, it's a no go for Production.

If you feel okay with your external modification then you should be okay with shooting in Open division.

Not sure about 3-gun, maybe there is more flexibility there.

Edited by Albert

Really? Seems like it would be ok to take a part away from a gun rather than add.

Yeah, really.

This issue is in the appendix D4, specifically 21.6. Unless Springfield has come out an XDm that does not have a slide release lever and it's on the approved Production division gun list, it's a no go for Production.

If you feel okay with your external modification then you should be okay with shooting in Open division.

Thanks for the info man. Just gonna have to figure it out.

my buddy has the same issue with his XDM 40....we both shoot XD9Tacs in production so he got an XDM 40 to shoot in Limited but he has problems with the slide stop as well.....in Limited You can modify it, so i would be interested in the answer to this question for him

Rich...any thoughts?

Yeah, really.

Thanks for the info man. Just gonna have to figure it out.

Put 2 layers of grip (skateboard) tape behind the release one on top of the other.

Make the first about 3/8" square and the top layer a litte longer.

If needed, add a third longer layer on top.

This will not change the feel of the gun in the web of your hand

but will keep your thunb pad off the release.

Putting the larger size piece on top makes the layers less noticable.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah. Don't tell anyone. :D

Put 2 layers of grip (skateboard) tape behind the release one on top of the other.

Putting the larger size piece on top makes the layers less noticable.

Hope this helps.

To make sure I am understanding where you mean to put the tape.

do you mean to put the tape towards the back of the gun after the slide release? I am asking because I can't visualize how the tape would stop you from pressing the slide release unless it was under the button and thus prevented it from being pressed. I am trying to figure out what I am missing :)

I'll see If I can grab my XD when I get home and take some pics of my grip style(s) and that may help a bit in clarifying.

Edited by Classic_jon

Putting the larger size piece on top makes the layers less noticeable.

Hope this helps.

do you mean to put the tape towards the back of the gun after the slide release?

Yep.

You are making a high area immediately behind (after) the release about 5/8" long to grip with your thumb.

If you don't extend it all the way to the rear; when you grip the gun, the tip of your thumb will stay off the release.

Edited by TxD

Hope this helps.

do you mean to put the tape towards the back of the gun after the slide release?

Yep.

You are making a high area immediately behind (after) the release about 5/8" long to grip with your thumb.

If you don't extend it all the way to the rear; when you grip the gun, the tip of your thumb will stay off the release.

I'll have to try that. Though, I can tell you that my thumb dang near covers the whole release. I've got some alien thumbs.

Thanks for the tape bit. I have a custom gun that even with grinding down the pin for the slide stop internal my thumb still gets in the way once in a while and locks the slide back - not bad on the range but a real pain in a match. Heck, my next step was going to be weld the damn thing down. Will try this weekend and report back. Again, thanks this could be a big help.

It will only help if you are barely touching it, and the stock springs are not overly powerful.

If you are serious about wanting to keep your thumb off the release, tape a tack to the release (dull it so it won't hurt you bad) and then do some serious practice. It should not take too long before you aren't crushing it with your thumb.

It will only help if you are barely touching it, and the stock springs are not overly powerful.

If you are serious about wanting to keep your thumb off the release, tape a tack to the release (dull it so it won't hurt you bad) and then do some serious practice. It should not take too long before you aren't crushing it with your thumb.

I think I'll just start training a little more. Haha I like the idea though, how about you manufacture a slide release with a tack built on. That way we both win hehe. Or find a way to electrify that sucker ha! That'll learn me!

Seriously though thanks forthe tips Scott.

Hope this helps.

Yep.

And move you to OPEN.