Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana gold or Precision Delta?

Bigpike

After a year of shooting USPSA and buying ammo I'v decided to take some of my Christmas money and invest in a Dillon RL 550. Just spending too much buying factory ammo and would like to fine tune loads a bit. Shooting .45 ACP major.

So in looking over bullets it seems like the best options in 230 gr FMJ bullets are Montana Gold and Precision Delta.

From what I've been reading here them both seem like good choices. But there is a sizeable difference in price with Montana Golds going for around $174/m and Precision Delta around $114.

Or is there another bullet I should be looking at?

Was wondering pros and cons of each and if anyone had favorite loads (yes, I've seen lots of them here in the forums so ignore that request if you like and I'll go back and sift thru them myself). Saving money is obviously a big consideration but also want to construct a solid consistent load. It looks like there are lots of recipes using Clays and that would be a bonus as I use that for my shotgun loads and then would have only to stock one powder. But that's the least of my worries.

If it makes any difference I'm shooting a Springfield XD45 in limited 10.

Thanks.

Any particular reason you don't want to use a lead bullet? Quite a bit cheaper. I have no problems

with Bear Creek 230 gr moly coated.

Thanks for the reply.

Hadn't really thought about lead. Thought they fouled a bit more, but I can be corrected on this. What's the consensus?

--Steve

Some report fouling with Moly coated bullets. I don't get any fouling with 3 different pistols in 2 different calibers with 3 different manufacturers. Use a good powder like N320 or Solo1000 and the smoke won't be too much of an issue.

I have shot Precision Delta in 40 s&w for a couple years and like them. They look like a better price than the Montana Gold's.

I would like to try Bear Creek. Although I am not sure why, I didn't like Precision cast or Master blaster. Both gave me leading problems in a stock glock barrel.

Anybody got a website for Bear Creek?

Monata Gold 230gr FMJs are only $147/k if you buy a case of 2K.

And that includes shipping. OOPS! so does PD to my ups zone anyway. I thought last time I checked there was a delivery fee.

Edited by sandman

I would like to try Bear Creek. Although I am not sure why, I didn't like Precision cast or Master blaster. Both gave me leading problems in a stock glock barrel.

Anybody got a website for Bear Creek?

AFAIK there is no Bear Creek website. Give him a call---

209-874-4322

Be patient, it's a one man show. My best luck has been at lunchtime Pacific time.

Some report fouling with Moly coated bullets. I don't get any fouling with 3 different pistols in 2 different calibers with 3 different manufacturers. Use a good powder like N320 or Solo1000 and the smoke won't be too much of an issue.

I didn't really have a fouling problem at all shooting precision molys. But I did have quite a bit of smoke even with solo1000. And the gun just got filthy. I personally didn't like either of those attributes.

I am going back to Montana Gold because they are great bullets, the price is good and they ship pretty fast these days.

Thanks open17 for the Bear creek number, so far I haven't caught him.

Also, I looked up Precision Delta 230gr 45 caliber fmj's and they go for $114/K shipped when ordered in multiples of 2000. If I wanted to shoot fmj's in 45, personally I would try Precision Delta first.

Rob

Yesterday I received a BO of Precision Delta 230gr FMJ, so order they will come eventually.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Looks like I'll try a batch of Precision Delta.

--Steve

They've been running 8-10 weeks behind last I knew. I got some of their 147gr FMJ-TC's in for my 9 and they're not so hot. Their 180gr FMJ's worked well in my Trojan and Edge with stock barrels, but don't seem to work nearly as well in Schuemann AET barrels. :wacko:

Thre's a new coated bullet on the bayou by Donnie Miculik

http://www.bayoubullets.net/index.html

They shoot them at the local Steel and IPSC match here with nothing but praise. There not supposed to smoke with any powder, it's the secret gator snot Donnie coat's them in.

The prices are good. They look like the Bear Creeks. Any more feedback on these?

And back to the OP's question. I like MG's, but I get better pricing with Zero's bullets and I think they are fairly similar. But cosmetically, I like the MG's. :) They're purty.

Edited by lpspinner

• 2 weeks later...

For .40, MG and PDs are pretty close in price, MGs ship practically same day, waited 12 weeks for PDs.

For .45, MGs are more expensive, but ship fast. Zeros ship pretty quick at less cost. PDs are cheapest by .01 cent, but take a long time to ship. All are good FMJs IMO. MGs seem to be closer in tolerance for weights.

BTW, Zeros are purchased through their dist, www.rozedist.com.

I have read a lot on the forum. pros and cons to moly coated bullets. who has a 185 gr moly coated bullet. I found it the other day and can't locate it anymore.

I am planning on going to moly coated bullets and will use WST powder.

I have a Kart barrel in an S_I custom gun for limited. Anyone having problems with rust in the Kart barrels. I read the thread about Les Bear and don't know what to think.

Any load data on WST for FMJ and for moly would be great

Not to be a total wet blanket but the best bullets out there are the ones that you can get delivered. Call around until you can find a distributor or manufacturer that says they really have them in stock and place an order. Then go back to which ever distributor or manufacturer that was your first priority and place a back order.

My earlier post was tongue in cheek because that order was made back in Aug-Sep. So far back I forget I made it and I received 2 BBI order in the meantime.

Here's my experience with Precision Delta. A friend and I bought 100,000 115gr 9mm's. Out of our STI, Kart barrelled guns, they siimply would not group. Something on the order of 3-5" at 20 yds at major power. They were fine at minor, 1" or less. We have switched to MG's and have not had a problem like that since.

OK, finally got the SDB instead of the 550. Love it.

Got 1k of the Montana Gold 230gr fmj's and took 'em to the range earlier this week.

Loaded up a bunch with 3.8 gr Clays and an OAL of 1.255.

Ran about 150 thru both a Springfield XD and Taurus PT 1911.

Everything went just fine with the exception of one round that didn't have the primer seated all the way and prevented the gun from going into battery. But everything else was great.

Next step is to find someone with a chrono and find out where I need to be powder wise in order to make Major.