Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22lr semi-auto pistol comparison

I'm looking at buying a new .22lr semi-auto, and not break the bank. Currently my list of contenders is:

1. beretta u22
  2. buckmark
  3. S&W 22A
  4. Ruger MKIII

I need to stay under ~$400 so any advice and comments about the pistols listed above would be welcome. Also, if there is a good solid shooter in the price range that I have overlooked I'd like to hear it. I know the ruger and buckmark are good guns, but I have zero intel on the other 2.

I have a 22A (the target model with the bull barrel and laminated stocks). It's extremely accurate and has been virtually 100% reliable. I also have a couple of Smith 41s and I wouldn't be surprised if the 22A would hold groups as well. I bought one after I read a magzine comparison (when they first came out) and they took two 22As and two M41s and one of the 22As was the most accurate of the bunch and the other was in between the two M41s. Mine hasn't disappointed at all. R,

I was looking at three of your choices (22A, Buckmark, 22/45) when I bought mine. What settled me on the Buckmark was that it also fit my wife's hand well --- better than the other two. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, so see what they feel like in your hands....

I own a Buckmark. Fantastic gun.

I've owned the Ruger, wouldnt own another.

I've shot the Smith a lot, very nice gun, I'd buy one if the price was right compared to a Buckmark.

I've shot the Beretta a few times, it felt like a toy.

So, my 1st choice would be the Buckmark, followed by the 22A.

I have the Ruger Mark III 22/45. I really like it... Even thought it is supposed to match a 1911 grip angle, it points just like my Glock... It loves to eat the cheap Remington Golden Bullet 550 packs, but isn't too fond of the "good" CCI ammo.

There are some that can be picky, but I have been lucky. The only real drawback is that takedown / assembly can be a P.I.T.A.

Did this myself about 3 weeks ago. I settled on the Buckmark because I liked the way it felt in my hand. I grew up shooting my dad's Ruger. I looked at these two and just kinda decided on the Buckmark. I think you will be happy with whichever gun you choose. So far all I have shot in my Buckmark is Remington Golden bulk pack. I have had a few jams on the last round in the mag. Overall it has shot well. I will probably try some minmags since I have heard Buckmarks prefer them.

I have owned a Buckmark-shot great, was 99.9% reliable, and very comfortable to shoot. Button mag release. I regret selling it, though I did not like the plastic sights.

Currently own a Ruger Mark III. It has almost a thousand rounds of Winchester Wildcat through it, and it has never missed a beat. Not fond of the heel mag release, but the gun is comfortable and easy to shoot and accurate. The take down is a bit of a PITA, but not so much if you don't take the grip off the receiver. And once you take it down a few times, it gets easier.

I have very limited experience with the 22A. It looks funky, and it didn't fit my hand well, but shot well for the 2 mags I put through it.

Beretta I have held, and wasn't very impressed with it. Grip angle/feel wasn't right for me.

Get what fits you the best. Another consideration is that the Buckmark and the Ruger can take tactical solutions receivers/barrels.

I have owned a Buckmark-shot great, was 99.9% reliable, and very comfortable to shoot. Button mag release. I regret selling it, though I did not like the plastic sights.

Currently own a Ruger Mark III. It has almost a thousand rounds of Winchester Wildcat through it, and it has never missed a beat. Not fond of the heel mag release, but the gun is comfortable and easy to shoot and accurate. The take down is a bit of a PITA, but not so much if you don't take the grip off the receiver. And once you take it down a few times, it gets easier.

I have very limited experience with the 22A. It looks funky, and it didn't fit my hand well, but shot well for the 2 mags I put through it.

Beretta I have held, and wasn't very impressed with it. Grip angle/feel wasn't right for me.

Get what fits you the best. Another consideration is that the Buckmark and the Ruger can take tactical solutions receivers/barrels.

I would recommend the Ruger 22/45 MK III. I got one at a gun show with a bull barrel for $250. The best ammo is CCI mini mags. My second choice would be the Buckmark. I felt a decked out one at a steel challenge match and it felt great!

I have the Mk III 5" bull barrell. Its got about 10k rounds through it and doesn't ever jam. I do get the occasional fail to pop, but I attribute that to excessively cheap ammo. It digests EVERY .22LR I've ever put in it.

VERY happy with it. With Minimag it will nearly single hole at 25 yards.

The Beretta I tried was a range gun and ran great. I've not handled the Buckmark.

This brings up another question. What is the real difference between the 22/45 series and the MKIII series? Is it just that the 22/45 is supposed to "emulate" a 1911? Any differences in the guts?

same grip angle as 1911, and it is polymer. Some like the grip angle of the mark III, some don't.

I have two Buckmarks, well actually three (one's sitting at the FFL). I mainly use them to shoot steel. The nice thing about the Buckmark and the Rugers is that there are lots of aftermarket parts for them. Tactical Solutions offers barrels, grips, for both, and even receivers for the Ruger. So, in the beginning, you can shoot it stock, then, if you want you can get fancy and start changing parts. Gives you options.

Good Luck!

Seiichi

Beretta- decide if the grip angle is right for your hands. I have only handled it and as I have large hands I didnt like it.

Buckmark-Great gun, runs well with ammo they like, easy to do trigger job on, easy to take the stupid mag safety out too....Good aftermarket goodies available, scope mounts, Tactical solutions barrels that work, mags are easy to get.

S&W 22A. I won three guns when they first came out. Easy to do trigger work on, grips are nice for bigger hands, mags are easy to get and work. Guns are reasonably accurate for entry level guns. Having said all that, the first two broke the frame extension above the grip that keeps the recoil spring in place, rendering the gun unreliable. Each time I got a new gun from Smith and I sold them. A buddy begged me to sell me the third one, and begrudgingly I did. His broke in the same place within a 1000 rds......and I warned him before I sold it to him. I would HOPE they have fixed this problem with the current guns, but nobody around here runs them, so I have no first hand data for you.

Ruger Mk III. Great concept. They tried to improve upon the MK II 22/45. Put a mag safety in it, and the method to hold the sear and hammer pin just plain ass sucks. I have several friends that shoot a lot and the pins walk on them all the time. If we could figure out how to figure out center on the holes we would make a metal bushing to put in the frame for the sear/hammer pins.

I also know people that have them and have had no problems with the pin holes. My buddys' guns were some of the first ones, so they may have figured it out by now. Lots of aftermarket stuff for them and if you find the right person they can really slick up the triggers on them.

I would go with the Buckmark if it fits your hand, or the Ruger, as it will run like a sewing machine.

Good luck, I hope this was helpful information.

DougC

I have several of the mkII's have shot a couple ofthe mkIII's same same concept except forthe grip angle change, its a ruger, basically bullet-proof, only hitch in it, is the way they go back together can be a royal pain in the butt...

wasnt really thrilled with the buckmark's way of coming apart, I broke off morethan one screw holding down that top plate, but i have to admit, the 10 inch heavy bull barrel is a really nice gun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started Bullseye with an S&W 22S.The one thing I can say about it is will digest anything that you can find. Did not like grips though

My wife bought a Buckmark for the same purpose. Her small hands fit it better. However with her using it stovepiping was an issue due to her physical problems. Once she stopped shooting due to medical problems I got to use it on a regular basis.

Now the Buckmark has evolved into my rimfire steel racegun. Can't say enough about how well the gun performs. I like it better than my friends Ruger raceguns although they are very close in match trim.

There are other guns out there that will work but if you go to just about any competition about 75% or more of the rimfire pistols will be either Rugers or Brownings.