Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Rate Shipping Boxes - INFO from USPS

I was at the post office and now notice that there are the regular flat rate boxes that they now call medium size....$10.35 shipped 70lbs max. The large boxes are $13.95 shipped.

Here is info from the usps.com web site.

If it fits, it ships®* anywhere in the country for a low Flat Rate.

(Even lower when you ship online.)

Small Flat Rate Box (8 5/8” x 5 3/8” x 1 5/8”), ships for $4.95

Medium Flat Rate Box (13 5/8” x 11 7/8” x 3 3/8”), ships for $10.35

Medium Flat Rate Box (11” x 8 1/2” x 5 1/2”), ships for $10.35

Large Flat Rate Box (12” x 12” x 5 1/2”), ships for $13.95

($11.95 to APO/FPO/DPO destination addresses†)

Priority Mail® Flat Rate Boxes.

A simpler way to ship for the holidays. And beyond.

Here’s how easy it is to ship.

1. Just pack and seal your boxes since there’s no need to weigh packages or calculate postage for anything up to 70 lbs.*

2. Print your label with postage at usps.com/clicknship and receive even lower Flat Rate pricing to any state.

3. Request a Free Package Pickup† and your Postal Service™ letter carrier will pick up your packages during the next mail delivery. Your packages will be delivered in the U.S. in just 2-3 days.

4. Order more free Flat Rate Boxes at usps.com/supplies for the next time you ship. We’ll deliver them to you for free. Flat Rate Boxes make returning gifts and online purchases simpler too.

Do all your shipping online at usps.com/household

If you ship 69.5 pounds of bullets, you better insure them..... those MAX HEAVY flat rate boxes sometimes go.... "missing". Most carriers HATE these things.

But it is a GREAT deal.

Ha, mechanics hate them more.

I used to be a mechanic at the post office...those heavy boxes are rough on conveyor belts.

My question then is this..Why are suppliers charging me 8.95 to ship a 2 oz item that would fit in a small box and leave tons of room? why do we settle for this as payers? I orderd a coin yes a coin for my uncle who is a collector and it was what he wanted for his 55th so I did. I orderd a month in advance so no need to worry about quick shipping. The shipping was 8.95 for a coin the size of a silver dollar. It was not insured and took 5 days to get to me from time of shipping confirmation. well actually 7 days as I did not count weekend. Wonrder if we can make them ship using the lower prices. needless to say I cant not order things so I will have to pay it..just wish they would all use flat rate boxes.....darn ppl...they suck..lol

Edited by chefcs5

If you ship 69.5 pounds of bullets, you better insure them..... those MAX HEAVY flat rate boxes sometimes go.... "missing". Most carriers HATE these things.

But it is a GREAT deal.

Yup---There is a 2000 9MM bullet order from Precision Delta out there SOMEWHERE. PD reshipped, never heard a word

from USPS.

The big box was $7.00 not all that long ago. Now it's $14, and still a good deal. I usually warn the local post

offfice when it's bullet ordering time, they are pretty nice people, and I wouldn't want them to drop a box full

of bullets on a toe---migh hurt a little. :roflol:

I have an agreement with my mail carrier. He just backs his delivery truck up the drive to the garage. He rings the bell and if I'm home I just come out and schlep it into the garage. If not, he just sets it on the ground by the garage door which is on the side of the house and hidden from the street. We both win that way. :)

My question then is this..Why are suppliers charging me 8.95 to ship a 2 oz item that would fit in a small box and leave tons of room? why do we settle for this as payers? I orderd a coin yes a coin for my uncle who is a collector and it was what he wanted for his 55th so I did. I orderd a month in advance so no need to worry about quick shipping. The shipping was 8.95 for a coin the size of a silver dollar. It was not insured and took 5 days to get to me from time of shipping confirmation. well actually 7 days as I did not count weekend. Wonrder if we can make them ship using the lower prices. needless to say I cant not order things so I will have to pay it..just wish they would all use flat rate boxes.....darn ppl...they suck..lol

Dont do business with comapnies that pad their profits with shipping charges, or call them and tell them about the flat boxes and request they use them. Plenty of competition out there in internet land.

I have an agreement with my mail carrier. He just backs his delivery truck up the drive to the garage. He rings the bell and if I'm home I just come out and schlep it into the garage. If not, he just sets it on the ground by the garage door which is on the side of the house and hidden from the street. We both win that way. :)

I have a great mail carrier. The first time she came down our driveway with her vehicle listing to one side (due to 3 cases of Montana Gold bullets), I carried them into the garge and returned with a bottle of wine for her. Now I think she looks forward to future bullet orders.

:cheers:

I have a friend who works at the Post Office who I shoot with. They tell me that a lot of times the boxes of bullets

break open and go all over everything. They don't have the time or desire to crawl around on the floor trying to gather them all up,

so I think that is what happens to the missing ones. The people sending them need to realize that thin cardboard can not hold up

when filled with lead. They need to put them in a heavy duty bag or box that can stand up to the rigors of cross country shipping,

THEN put them in the Flat Rate box. That would save everyone a lot of grief.

I know guys who double box them.. somehow they can shoehorn the same sized FRB into another.. kind of like double bagging grocery bags.. and they seal the inner box with good strapping tape, and seal the outer box with the same good strapping tape. I have few boxes actually split open..

Reinforcing all the EDGES of the box with 2" clear packing tape will help considerably.

I had a fellow forum member in Bend, Oregon (only 120 miles away) send me a large quantity of .223 brass in a fairly large (and heavy) Flat Rate box last year. Even that short trip west of his shipping point produced some shmushy damage on the two ends of the box where the zip-to-open feature happens to be. Nothing leaked out or broke open seriously but a couple more tosses from one conveyance to another and it might've seen a spray of brass on some floor of some truck or sorting station somewhere.

I can see how the box got shmushed, though... every time I picked up the box to move it (from car to porch to back bedroom) I kept dropping it because a slight shift of its contents kept upending the box in a very humorous and uncontrollable way. I couldn't keep this box in my hands no matter what I did. :D

So, yeh, a little reinforcing tape goes a long way to secure weak edges. B)